The Stragglers - "Dusty Road"

…and another one. The original dates back 4 years or so but here’s a fresh new version with The Stagglers sound stamped all over it :smiling_imp:

Dusty Road

This is great Ian.

Two small nits: the first “I” in “I turn and take your hand”
really sounds odd, like a gate is half eating it; it really
leaps out here.

And any chance of not separating “dusty” and “road”?

I like this lots more than the original.

Jet

:sunglasses:

Two small nits: the first “I” in “I turn and take your hand”
really sounds odd, like a gate is half eating it; it really
leaps out here.

Hmmm…yeah… there is something not a 100% with that “I” ? Leaps out you say? I never even noticed until you mentioned it! :confused: Sounds like either my voice cracked or an editing glitch - but I don’t think there was any editing on this one… Anyway, easily fixed. :slight_smile:

And any chance of not separating “dusty” and “road”?

Had to think about what you actually meant!?? They ARE separate words?? But what I think you mean is the phrasing -delivering the whole lot in one breath? I see I’m usally taking in another lung full to finish off with the word “road” - although at one point later in the song I don’t think I do so I guess it’s possible to do the same in those other spots. I’d have to sing it to remind myself what’s going on but I suspect I was usually running out of puff and often unable to get a decent “road” out - particularly being such a low note too. I guess I just need to suck in more air!
Did you find it disrupted the flow or something?

I like this lots more than the original.

Yeah I do too. Faster tempo, more movement in the bass line and I’ve also inserted a chorus earlier in the song. Works much better I think.

Cheers! :sunglasses:

I like it, good original.Well Crafted. :smiley:

Hi Ian

This is very good. :exclamation: :sunglasses:

The mix is good, as is the arrangement. It’s more tasteful, classy and restrained approach rather than frilly and cluttered compared to some of the other tunes in this collection IMVHO.

This is the quality I expect from you. :wink: :sunglasses:

Cheers

Dave! Glad you liked this one. :smiley: Cheers for that. :sunglasses:

Now I have to admit that when you said “frilly and cluttered” with regard to previous Stragglers offerings I did a double take. The main reason for that was that my main philisophical approach with these Stragglers tunes was in fact to try keep them relatively simple, UN-cluttered and close to what might be readily achieveable live wit a 4-piece: i.e. vocals, acoustic guitar, keys, bass and drums. Of course I take a few liberties in the ‘studio’, but in essence I really wanted these tunes to be close to what a 4-piece might be able to achieve. So, with that in mnd I’m obviously curious that you felt that some of the tunes sounded rather cluttered. 'Frilly" I can maybe understand because that’s probably either a lot to do with my keyboard embelishments and/or perhaps Shaynes bass lines, but do the others really sound cluttered?? :confused:

Anyway… thanks for the feedback. Appreciated as always :slight_smile:

Maybe cluttered wasn’t the right word. Busy would’ve been better perhaps. :slight_smile:

Anyhow it’s only one persons opinion. :wink: You are capable of more quality than me anyway. :slight_smile:

Cheers

Well, I’m gonna be awkward…I like both versions :laughing:
Good stuff Ian :sunglasses:
Cheers
Phil

No! You? Phil? “Awkward”? Perish the thought! :astonished:

He he! Cheers :sunglasses: Phil.