The Stragglers - "Here I Go Again"

Latest working demo of another new old song:

Here I Go Again

:sunglasses:

Nice, Great instrumental parts and awesome bass!
Not too fond of the vocals, could just be your accent Iā€™m not familiar with. Donā€™t take that too personal :wink:

Hi Ian,

overall, this is a nicely balanced mix. I listened many times. It got me more with each pass.
However, I think the chorus is a bit understated. There is not a lot (sonically) that
distinguishes it from the verses, so maybe some extra sound or voices might help?

There are several clicks over the first verse. I know you like precision, so as it
plays in the Bandcamp player, they are at 00:16, 00:18, 00:24 and 00:30 secs in.
They sound like file edits.

I think there is a tuning issue at 2:00 with the bridge, where the synth and the bass
are off pitch. Not sure what is going on in there, but something is not right.

Finally, is there a missing kick at 2:50 and again at 2:52? Or is there not a kick
on the ONE in some other places? Something is not right there.

A final observation: the ep break is rather lacklustre?? Not much that is obviously
ā€œsoloā€ going on, so maybe it could be revamped?

As Iā€™ve tended to say in most of my recent reviews, I like the vocal.

Jet

Hiya Ian. What Jet says. Iā€™d disagree on the vocal, youā€™ve been much better of late but this one has a kind of nervousness about it. Looks like a re-take on that Iā€™d say. Needs a fluency to it and then youā€™re set :sunglasses:
Cheers
Phil

Thanks for the listens and thoughts. :sunglasses:

My mate Shayne will be pleased to hear that! :smiley: His bass lines at times can be rather ā€˜challengingā€™ for some and he cops a bit of criticism from time to time as a result

:arrow_right: Jet - thanks for the specificsā€¦ Not sure what the clicks are all about - hadnā€™t noticed to be honest - could be edits. Missing kicks is a definite possibility - one of the annoyances of Jamstix is that it drops notes from time to time. :confused: Iā€™ll investigate that and the other points you made. And yeahā€¦ the EP ā€˜soloā€™ was a bit lameā€¦ Iā€™ll try jazz it up some.

You might be right. What Iā€™ll do is take this one out live first before re-doing though. When itā€™s been aired a few times live and I am as a consequence more familiar and comfortable with it Iā€™ll probably then retrack. Itā€™s worked with other songs in the past - thereā€™s been a noticeable improvement in overall delivery as a result of singing the songs live a good number of times first and then later re-recording the vocal.

Yeah, had a few more spins. You can disregard my comment about the chorus,
maybe just add extra b/vs (for meat) or turn them up a little, should do the trick?
They work well, just need some added protein! :laughing:

I think thereā€™s one more click at 1:09ā€¦? :confused:

Agree with Phil that if this isnā€™t a comfy olā€™ slipper song, then prolly a new
vocal will excel.

Cheers!

Jet

Hi Ian,

Another cool Stragglers song with a catchy chorus. :sunglasses:

(I see youā€™ve posted a few Straggler songs up since iā€™ve been away, all really good by the way! :wink: )

Sav

Actually the ā€˜clicksā€™ donā€™t seem to be editsā€¦ I think what you might be hearing is a kinda click cutting through from the bass track actually. Iā€™ll check 1:09 ā€¦

Yeahā€¦ I think thereā€™s 18 songs up on Bandcamp now, and thereā€™s a couple more in the works. Our goal was 24 songs by the end of the year so weā€™re certainly on-track. :sunglasses:

Good well arranged song to my ears. The drums sound good to me (even the snare). The one thing I donā€™t like is the effect on the bass. I think itā€™s a good mix, and I like the vocal harmonies.

Cheers :slight_smile:

I wondered if someone was gonna mention the bass FX! I thought when I added the phasey FX thereā€™d bound to be someone somewhere that didnā€™t like it! :smiley:

At least the snare gets a pass. :wink: