The Stragglers - "INSANITY" - good news!

Another one given a Stragglers makeover - electric gats gone, replaced by acoustics, keys and a new bassline from Shayne. :sunglasses:

Insanity! :smiling_imp:

Sorry, Ian. This is way too busy, IMHO. All the powerā€™s gone. A song called Insanity should have power. As is, sounds like three different songs playing at once. Is the other version still up or did you take it down? :sunglasses:

Donā€™t stress Nate, the original with your fine guitar work is still scattered all over the net, here:

and elsewhere.

This version is based on the way itā€™s played live which is the basis for all these Stragglers tunes. Old songs revisited, but with our live vibe stamped all over them, and in the open-mic context which we most often play that means more acoustic guitar focused.

I 'm curious that that you say itā€™s too busy? What makes it seem busy too you? Itā€™s the same drum track and vocal more or less as the original. Thereā€™s more movement in the bass in this version of course - and I thought the synth line in this version was less busy than the leads you did several years ago. Just wonderingā€¦

:sunglasses:

Hi Ian

Only had one listen so far. I sort of agree with Nate about the arrangement.

This is just my opinion. Intro ok. I would drop one of the guitars in the first verse. Chorus and V2 ok. I might lose one of the guitars in the solo section. For the first half of the 3rd verse I would try it with just drums, bass and vocals. Those chords donā€™t do much for me. Then bring the guitars in for the second part of the verse. I would loose the piano completely. I donā€™t think it brings anything to the party. Something like that anyway, but my opinion might change after more listens. :slight_smile:

I like this song now and before. :sunglasses:

Cheers

Yeah, I heard the same drum and vocals. Itā€™s the other stuff Iā€™m talking about. The word cacophony springs to mind. Just too much going on, IMHO. Clarity is missing. :sunglasses:

Man, youā€™re a tough, hard to please crowd! :laughing:
Just for the record: I disagree. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just trying to help. Figured Iā€™d prepare you with virtual tomatoes in prep for the real ones when you take this to stage. :mrgreen:

Iā€™m signing autographs as you type :wink:

Writing out checks to pay some bills? Yep, donā€™t forget to sign them. :mrgreen:

Actually, when it comes to paying bills, ā€˜absent mindedlyā€™ forgetting to sign now and then had crossed my mind more than once in the distant past but now in our advanced 21st centuarty civilisation, well no-one actually uses such antiquated methods of payment anymore. :stuck_out_tongue:

Howā€™s the writers cramp? :mrgreen:

Actually, when it comes to paying bills, ā€˜absent mindedlyā€™ forgetting to sign now and then had crossed my mind more than once in the distant past but now in our advanced 21st centuarty civilisation, well no-one actually uses such antiquated methods of payment anymore. :stuck_out_tongue:

Howā€™s the writers cramp? :mrgreen:

Hi Ian,

Iā€™ve listened a few times.

I like the song very much.

The drums could be better IMO. The kick is ā€œthereā€ but hollow,
sharing the same spatial attack definition as the hats, and I canā€™t hear any
meat/thump to it. The toms are a bit woolly, as is the bass in spots.
Cymbals seem very bright and the hats steal the limelight overall.
Itā€™s an interesting hi hat variation in the chorus but it sounds more
like rideā€¦or a mix of ride and hatsā€¦and to me doesnā€™t quite add up.
And Iā€™m not sure the pattern suits anyway. Are there some severe edits
to that part too? Sounds like some sudden-death slices in spots.

Maybe what others are describing as busy-ness is the lack of ā€œglueā€
to the various sounds.

I also found the bass to be busy and therefore a bit fatiguing after a while.

I know this looks like a long list of nits, but I think the song is really good
and could benefit from some project housekeeping. I like all the guitars
and I like your vocal delivery.

Jet

Cheers, Iā€™ll focus on the good stuff first! :smiley:

Meanwhile, Ive replaved the entire kit, gone back to Steve Slate and done some editing on hats, ride and few other things here and there. :sunglasses:

Are there some severe edits to that part too? Sounds like some sudden-death slices in spots.

There were some edits as a result of changing the structure. I missed tidying up a few joins which Iā€™ve now tended to - but ā€˜sudden deathā€™ ? Not sure what youā€™re referring to? :confused:

I also found the bass to be busy and therefore a bit fatiguing after a while.

Iā€™m really liking what Shayne is bring to these tunes generally. Not necessarily innovative in that Iā€™m sure thereā€™s plenty of great bass players around doing interesting things, but I think his approach may be somewhat unconventional in these types of tunes and therefore a little ā€˜challengingā€™ for some people? Heā€™s basslines are certainly not what Iā€™d call predicatble (read ā€˜boringā€™) in most instances. For me its quite refreshing actually, and a welcome departure from the usual plucking away at root notes with the odd passing note thrown in here and there for good measure. For me itā€™s become a signature part of The Stragglers sound which I wouldnā€™t want to lose, something that I think, even if just in a small way, sets the overall vibe of our tunes apart from stuff I usually hear. Cleary not everyones cup of " lĒœchĆ” " but I particularly liked this bass line when I first heard it.

Cheers for the feedback. :sunglasses:

Listened twice, but under cans, so canā€™t comment on
low frequency issues with any confidence. Later! (Popo is asleep).
Drums sound a lot better. Thereā€™s far more punch and drive now.

As to the bass, I think itā€™s more the verses Iā€™m not sure about.
Thereā€™s a lot of hi-end in there, together with a lot
of finger-string squeaks. What happens if you put a hi EQ mask
on them? The chorus bass sounds full and smooth in comparison.
Just thinking they could be better matched?

Noticed it first time, too, but thought it was the hats,
but over the intro now Iā€™m thinking itā€™s the ac.gtr on the right
that is out of time in spots? Not quite right. Also, does that same gtr
hit a wrong chord at 00:24 secs in?

Sorry Dave, missed your post earlier! :blush: Iā€™ll try out your suggestions though some make me nervous! Especially the part about losing the piano! :astonished:

Iā€™ve already tamed the top-end on the bass in this mix quite a bit compared to the previous one, and the bass mix is the same throughout. Perhaps itā€™s just a little more exposed in the verses so the hi-end and finger noise is more apparent.
Iā€™ll revisit it anyway, though I didnā€™t mind the odd bit of finger-on-string coming through. It brings an ā€˜organicā€™ quality which I quite like to have in these tunes. :sunglasses:

Iā€™m thinking itā€™s the ac.gtr on the right
that is out of time in spots? Not quite right. Also, does that same gtr
hit a wrong chord at 00:24 secs in?

Iā€™ll pull out the microscope, dial up x1000 magnification and have a wee look! :smiley:

Cheers. :sunglasses:

:blush: fixed!

And I just tried out a few of Daveā€™s suggestions (partially) in this very latest mix. I might have to concede that it probably works a little better. :sunglasses:

OK, must be the bass, in this mix @ 00:25.
Still something out of tune in there. :confused:

Dropped the other ac.gtr for an electric?

Had a close listenā€¦ it seems whatā€™s happening is Iā€™m sliding up to the next chord a bit too slowly. Sorted. :sunglasses:

Dropped the other ac.gtr for an electric?

Nope. That 2nd strummed acoustic has been replaced by single chords (on beat 1) played on the rhodes.

:sunglasses:

Just had an offer to have this one professionally remixed (and overdubbed) with a chance to have Michael Barker (John Butler Trio) on drums. :astonished:

:smiley: