The Stragglers: "Sympathy" / "Invisible"

A couple more from my current album project “rollin’ dice”:

Sympathy
Spirited teenager Jayne Furlong dreamed of becoming a child psychologist - instead, she ended up a prostitute. In 1993, 17 year old Jayne vanished from her patch on Auckland’s Karangahape Road. Police suspect that Jayne was murdered – but, to this day, her body has not been found. Her disappearance was investigated by psychics Deb Webber and Kelvin Cruickshank on the TV show “Sensing Murder”

Invisible

Both these song were written by band mate Shayne (bass) and were originally released his/our Glass Puppets CD “Shadows & Light” (2010)

:sunglasses:

Hi Ian,

I listened to Sympathy. Will check the other soon.

Maybe nip the acoustics a dB? Personal taste, to me they stood a bit proud.
Check the little timing glitch at 2:46, things not quite glued just there.

To me, the snare sounds small and weak and a bit lost within the drums, sorry. :unamused: Yeah, I know. :unamused:

Catchy chorus.

Jet

Just listened to Invisible. Healthier snare drum.

A couple of wee nits. The opening acoustic needs better precision,
there’s a muffed note in there.

The piano break seems to end a few beats prematurely :confused:

Not sure I like the slap bass as is but uncertain as to how
to help it out. Seems more rattle than slap.

Another catchy chorus.

Jet

I’ll elaborate more tomorrow, but my first impression of “sympathy” is that the bass is running all over the place with nothing to compliment it rhythmically, like a tamborine or possibly hi-hat

Hi Ian

You’ve got a good thing going with this album IMHO. It’s easy to hear the fun you are having. :slight_smile:

I listened to both tunes. Firstly can I say how much I like your vocal arrangements. Very good! :sunglasses: I have to say also that once again these tunes go to prove how far, singing wise, you have come. I for one take for granted that you vocals are going to be decent. What initially struck me on both is something I’ve heard on the last few tunes in that there a lot of tonal competition from different parts in that 500hz area.

Invisible - some suggestions.

That bass really does need both controlling and room to speak. I’m not sure what you do with the slap parts, maybe snip them to another track and treat them separately or even double with a few samples? Personally I would loose those piano glissandos and the drum fills need to work with the busy bass and not fight it. To complement the bass playing a lot in the upper register maybe the kick could have more low end? I didn’t mind the apparent early early to the solo but wasn’t so keen on the arpeggio.

Both tunes are not bad at all though and like I said before, the energy of the band is obvious so I would say you have succeeded.

Cheers

The opening acoustic needs better precision, there’s a muffed note in there

Where did you get your razor sharp ears from Jet?? :laughing:

Not sure I like the slap bass as is but uncertain as to how to help it out. Seems more rattle than slap.

Maybe I was a bit generous with the EQ? I wanted to accentuate but perhaps I over did it?

If you wouldn’t mind. :slight_smile:

Cheers Dave, Likewise, both Shayne and I are liking where it’s headed. Quite aside from sorting out mix details we’re really liking the selection of songs, probably 12 in all, and so far they seem to sit well together, but I think it’s the vibe and generally energy of the songs that we have chosen that makes it feel fun… of course we’re very biased!

Firstly can I say how much I like your vocal arrangements. Very good!

Thanks. I’m actually trying to keep the backing vocals/harmonies reasonably simple. One reason for that is that I hope to coach Shayne into doing them live. So far backing vocals rarely feature live. Singing aint his thing at all… but I know there was a time when it wasn’t my thing either, so with a bit of beer-assisted confidence, I reckon Shayne could takle the parts… or at least some of them.

there a lot of tonal competition from different parts in that 500hz area

Interesting. I already have notable cuts in that area, most of my mixes do actually. Perhaps more is required…

That bass really does need both controlling and room to speak. I’m not sure what you do with the slap parts, maybe snip them to another track and treat them separately or even double with a few samples? Personally I would loose those piano glissandos and the drum fills need to work with the busy bass and not fight it. To complement the bass playing a lot in the upper register maybe the kick could have more low end? I didn’t mind the apparent early early to the solo but wasn’t so keen on the arpeggio.

OK, noted! I’ll revisit these things when I have time. Meanwhile I have a couple of projects for my mate Matt that I need to get one with.

Thanks! :sunglasses:

Hi Ian!

Had a couple of listens and enjoyed. Here’s a couple of thoughts…

Sympathy…

The start made me think it could have been a cover of “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door”, same harmony isn’t it? :nerd:

No nits for me on the mix - sounding good! :smiley:

(My ears were caught be the intonation of “_fa_tal” at about 2:21. I pulled it back and listened again but then it sounded fine. Weird… :confused: )

Invisible…

Listened a few times - definately a grower. Not a fan of the slap bass - just sounds too thin to my ears. Also not convinced by the piano glissandos - I understand the idea it’s a good one - but not the realisation to my ears. :wink:

Hope these help a little.

Cheers

Cheers again Dave! :slight_smile:

I’ve had a go at tweaking the snare based on some suggestions here. I’m not convinced myself… but hey…what do I know?? :laughing:
I’ve also removed a few of the ‘unpopular’ glissandos :imp: mutter mutter

And had a go at taming the bass somewhat…

:sunglasses: