The Windows 10 jitters.

Hi, I ended up with
Case Antec P101 Silent Mid Tower 2 x USB 3.0 / 2 x USB 2.0 Sound-Dampened Black Case
1 Processor Intel Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake Refresh 3.6GHz Eight Core 1151 Socket Overclockable Processor
1 CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO Universal Socket 92mm PWM 2800RPM Black Fan CPU Cooler
1 Graphics Card ASRock AMD Radeon RX580 8GB OC Phantom Gaming D Dual Fan Graphics Card
1 2nd Hard Drive Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD
1 3rd Hard Drive Team GX2 1TB SATA III SSD
1 Primary Hard Drive WD Black WDS250G3X0C SN750 - 250GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
1 Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X Intel Socket 1151 ATX HDMI DDR4 USB C 3.1 M.2 Motherboard
1 Memory Kingston HyperX Predator 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz DIMM System Memory
1 Primary Optical Hitachi-LG BH16NS40.ARAA10B Internal BD-Writer Optical Drive (Without Software)
1 Power Supply Antec EarthWatts Gold Pro 750W 120mm Silent 80 PLUS Gold Semi Modular PSU
1 Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64bit English OEI DVD Operating Software

and boy is it fast!!!

thx

Thanks I wasn’t thinking about protection / viruses, just about having loads of admin software with it’s various background processes running on a partition that also has DAW software on it. At the moment, my DAW partition has nothing but essential music related stuff on it and runs really well. My internet / admin partition has all the other gubbins :slight_smile:

I understand. I don’t quite know why one would be faster than the other though. I mean, it’s still the same drive and I’m not 100% certain you’re losing all that much performance by having “gubbins” on the OS partition.

I could be wrong about that of course.

One thing to be a little cautious with is that many software drivers come complete with firmware updates, so it’s presumed (by manufacturers) that if you’re running the latest firmware you’re also running the latest drivers as it comes as a set.
If you therefore receive an update which changes your hardware bios/fw but continue to run out of date drivers/control/management software on the offline partition then glitches or malfunction can occur.

I’ve had this happen with a focusrite saffire firewire audio interface before - which was an easy fix as i just had to get beta version of mixcontrol on the offline partition. But the biggest issue i had was updating motherboard bios to support new GPU as i used the main partition for video editing. The offline partition wouldn’t boot, and it was a few weeks later that i tried it. I was so focused on the primary that it didn’t occur to me what may happen.

For me, it’s not worth the hassle. I’d rather run a single boot system and with the hours i save in my own time just get a CPU that’s going to gain the small percentage you may lose in background tasks (Which are very efficient nowadays anyway). I’d hate to think of the hours lost booting between partitions/copying data across to clients. But most of my work involves fire fighting where i’m rapidly going back to the software for small changes as we make our minds up. lol

All done and dusted with the new W10 puter and no problems at all…not with anything…