There must be a better way to automate volume in sections?

I hadn’t thought of this, thanks for posting. It’s pretty good, but as you said definitely not close to as good as the Pro Tools/Reaper/Studio One (others?) way. I firmly feel that Steinberg needs to implement that method as soon as possible – again, it exists in those DAWs for a very good reason!

Agreed 100%. Using some weird PWM line tool is about as counterintuitive as it gets for this issue.

Totally.

Wow. Thanks for making my life significantly less tedious.

While the technique in the video is nice, it’s not close to a replacement for what we’re talking about. It’s been years of asking (from what I understand) with incomprehensibly no response for Steinberg, so we’re probably fuggered here. It would be a total shame and a waste to not include this basic and very essential feature like it’s incorporated into Pro Tools, Studio One, Reaper, and others from what I understand – again, for a very good and very basic reason.

Please, Steinberg, let’s get this going now.

The odds of that occurring would increase if this were in the Feature Request forum instead of here. :wink:

Man… just use Studio One! I literally could not stop watching the video… I was so excited about how easy it seems to edit tracks! It’s cheaper too!

It looks like it’s already been in that section for the past few versions of Cubase. :frowning:

It’s not cheaper if you already own Cubase and have all your projects in Cubase. Enjoy Studio One! I have heard some good things about it.

But they always lock (and presumably ignore*) the old Feature Request forum when a new version of Cubase is released. So it’s a good idea to repost items in the new forum so they remain visible.

*even more than normal

Good point – I’ll do that myself!

Once you already have this “jump automation”, you can easily select 2 border points, and use Info Line, to really Trim. Or add a Macro to increment/decrement about dedicated value.

Go for it by all means; whatever floats your boat…

But really, you want this:-

(I mean, if we are going to do double-posting just to make a point… :unamused: )

The problem is that the square wave trick isn’t super useful until we have direct access to each of the (cough) ‘curve tools’ by direct key command. Having to cycle through each of the modes is a pain.

The square wave trick is a broken band aid for something that needs to be implemented in full. :slight_smile:

A band aid is better than an open wound. Baby steps.

Still baby steps you reckon…!? For how much longer…? Arguably, 30 years we’ve been waiting (the ‘wound’ has been there since day one); others have shown us the light from around 8 - 10 years back and most recently Studio One, from around 3 years ago…

This ‘injury’ is now pus-filled and weeping. Enough with the sticking plasters, please.

(#ThereIsABetterWay)

Yes, but to me there are worse annoyances baked into other aspects of the software.

You don’t want to get me started about the FUBAR implementation of external FX, which, as far as I can tell, has gotten worse in each successive version of Cubase. I also truly hate it when they take away useful features such as the recent paths dialog in the export audio screen. I mean wtf? Why would Steinberg knowingly cause the end user more mouse clicks?

But I do a ton of automation, and have for many years, so I’ve gotten pretty good at it. Although Pro 9 did take away the ability to select and drag multiple automation points up or down - when you do it that way in Pro 9 bizarreness ensues. it was possible as far as 7.5, although it was about that time when the weird behavior began, but it didn’t always happen; in Pro 9 it happens every time, so I finally had to get used to using the scaling devices, which work, but strike me as Rube Goldberg-jsh.

I also hate the new navigation bar (where you can make the the project window go forwards and backwards.) It works fine until you zoom in, then dragging the slider in small increments becomes impossible. In earlier versions you could click on the arrows on either side. If you try that now, the screen jumps way more than you want. Again wtf?

Well said. These ‘tiny’ things… coupled with the ‘skinny scroll bars’ are the 1 step backward for every 2 steps forward.

Drives me NUTS. Every version deep sixes these ‘tiny’ details that are precisely the items that make my work -flow-

—JC