"There's an ocean of sh1t out there"

But the game could be changed drastically. Start calling music art and, like painters, just make one-offs and sell one item for as much as you can get rather than a million for very little.
Or carry around a bunch of your own original CDs and pay for your groceries, drinks etc. (keys battery failure…) with them like Van Goff.
It’s funny. Never been so good for getting stuff but it’s really hard to give it away. I suppose if they’re not paying for it then you’re not charging enough for it. There is another POV but I don’t want to go there in here. Messengers tend to get shot at.

The problem is - and I admit to being part of it because I spend more time at my little desktop rig than I do working in the studio (and I’m not really a musician or producer anyway) - is that expectations have been greatly lowered. What I mean by that is that in the “Sea of Doo Doo” are many productions and mixes where the only criteria is “Can you hear everything and is everything balanced?” If so, put it on the web and sell it for $0.99.

The problem is that the availability of the tools brings a giant mass of people who have no actual skill at music production. It used to be that the “emotion” of music production came first and the actual recording part was secondary. Now it’s the other way around, newbies spend months collecting mix tips under some illusion that their mixes will sound as good as some guy like Lynn Fuston who’s been mixing 30 years full time, while generally ignoring the impact of the actual music, the arrangement, the dynamics, the melodies, the counter melodies, tension, release, music.

So the net is chock full of decently mixed (not off-putting or immediately annoying) “very, very bland and boring” songs by all-in-one “Musician, producer, engineer, mastering engineer, record label exec” guys. :laughing:

You already went there.

However, there’s no point in playing innocent messenger. Unless you’ve educated yourself to a point of knowing what you’re talking about, you’re simply blindly delivering messages. As such, you might be considered part of the problem, rather than part of the solution, and that consideration would be just, even if it were true in most instances.

OK Since the shooting’s started already. If the musics not selling or being stolen then it must be doo-doo. :mrgreen: If it’s being stolen then there’s a market for it. Just find a way to get it paid for. There’s plenty of options. I don’t download. My i-phone just has my bands and stuff I need to rehearse so I guess I’m not too much part of the problem that way as I do believe in paying for music. I’m not arrogant enough to be a thief.

That message blind enough? :laughing: