Things I discovered after using Cubase for 15+ years, part 236: Listen Dim

So I guess we all have our blind spots when it comes to Cubase and its immense functionality, where we discover a function that was (nearly) always there but we never used (well, at least I hope I am not the only one.
Today I discovered “Listen Dim” in the control room and how I can solo a track but have all the other tracks playing at a lower level, so you can EQ in solo, which you according to the text books you should not do but but sometimes nevertheless do. Now you can still hear the soloed signal in context, but not too loud.
Just set “Listen dim” to say “-12dB” and then click the “L” button in the mix console for the track. Dang, you’re there.
How many times did I look at those buttons and settings and never bothered to RTFM and get to know them… :man_facepalming:
And please everyone do not comment on this thread with “Yeah, have been using that for years”. I’m having a moment here :grinning:

3 Likes

Ok, i won’t say that, @fese , but I want to read the other 235 parts please!

I already forgot them :grin:

“L” it´s extremely useful, I recently read that you don´t need to snap on and off when editing, you can leave the snap on and press ctrl while moving notes or events and get the snap “bypassed”.

Yeah, I have been using it for CENTURIES. Haha.
Take into account too that the dim level can be set to -inf, so that you hear only that channel. So the Listen button turns very helpful when you want to listen a parallel FX channel, but you want to listen only that channel. Otherwise, if you press Solo in that FX channel, you will be listening the FX channel plus all the tracks from where the signal comes. With Listen you listen only the processed “send signal”.

Another thing I discovered very late and I think I should know before about it is the clip snap point (that S mark), which position you can move inside the clip, to adjust where this clip will be snapped. I learned about it the same day I needed it, as I was editing some takes.

Edit: that was the thing about the clip snap point: