Things I was really hoping for in Cubase 8...

… That didn’t happened… Yet?

-Smart tool (ie like Pro Tools or Sonar)
-Colorize channel strips in thhe MixConsole.
-Ability to omit and/or colorize rows in drum maps.
-Better looking MixConsole (granted, they did touch it up, but I still don’t like it in general).
-Better automation workflow (think Ableton)
-Stop automatically putting Group and FX channels in folders.
-Ability to see markers and chords in note/drums editor/everywhere.

Although I’m not a huge fan of that type of tooling … it’s basically what they tried to do with those damned hover buttons on the mixconsole, I wish they would allow more flexibility in what can be assigned to the mouse setup for each tool type.

-Colorize channel strips in thhe MixConsole.

Do you mean to let it color the entire strip like it used to? Because you already can set the channel color from the mixconsole.

-Ability to omit and/or colorize rows in drum maps.

You’d have to expand on the colorizing bit, because there are a few limited options to sort of get “piece” coloring. And, you can already move any row where you want it to. It doesn’t eliminate, but it allows you to group the entire map together.

-Better looking MixConsole (granted, they did touch it up, but I still don’t like it in general).

That is such a subjective thing, there won’t be any way for them to please everyone. I just wish they would allow a bit more shading/contrast control in some of the main sections.

-Better automation workflow (think Ableton)

No, don’t want ableton. Some additional tool capability would be welcome though. Like automatically setting block edges.

amen

-Ability to see markers and chords in note/drums editor/everywhere.

Yeah, this has been requested numerous times. Maybe someday.

Do you mean to let it color the entire strip like it used to? Because you already can set the channel color from the mixconsole.

Yes, color the entire strip, as opposed to just the little title area. I enjoy being able to do so in the main view, but I feel it would really help to have that in the MixConsole as well.

You’d have to expand on the colorizing bit, because there are a few limited options to sort of get “piece” coloring. And, you can already move any row where you want it to. It doesn’t eliminate, but it allows you to group the entire map together.

What do you mean by “piece coloring”? I meant it like you can do to actual tracks in the main view. Also, yes, I reorder all my unused rows away, but I wish I could just omit them.

No, don’t want ableton. Some additional tool capability would be welcome though. Like automatically setting block edges.

Mostly, what I mean is the fact that you can just select an area and move the automation line. It automatically creates the necessary nodes. Pro Tools works similarly. Another thing I enjoy about Ableton is the fact that it automatically shows the automation lane for the last parameter you moved… of course, I’d prefer that as a switchable behavior though.

Yeah, I preferred it the old way too.

What do you mean by “piece coloring”? I meant it like you can do to actual tracks in the main view.

It’s hard to explain, but you can set up the various pieces as parts, so any note you write on them gets colored with a part color. Kind of weird to do and I finally gave up as being too much work for the minimal payback.

Mostly, what I mean is the fact that you can just select an area and move the automation line. It automatically creates the necessary nodes. Pro Tools works similarly. Another thing I enjoy about Ableton is the fact that it automatically shows the automation lane for the last parameter you moved… of course, I’d prefer that as a switchable behavior though.

Ah, I don’t disagree with that… Ableton isn’t the only program to have that capability though. And their is a lot more to automation than setting nodes. Anyhow, in general there are things that could be done even within the same automation drawing process that could really speed it up in Cubase.

I never knew it was once a thing. My first Cubase was 6, what version did that?

I hate the magic tool in pro tools and I think that Key modifiers are 10x better. Maybe they could add some Key modifiers.

+1

this is what I want. Add functions to the mouse mappings for each tool