Things we love about Dorico!

Probably mentioned before, but I just wanted to say it again:
The Dorico team and the feeling that they give us all. They really care about us customers, and that’s by no means common with software companies.
Thank you!

+1 wolframd, such a great team!

+1 for the Dorico team, truly the best there is!

The Dorico user community on this forum is also great. Anybody with questions about using Dorico can rely on getting useful input from either the Dorico team or other users, and often both.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet ist the quality of the audio output. I’m referring to 1.0.10 now, with more and more articulations and dynamics in place.

The use case I experienced this is some experimental writing for strings (which I don’t do too often), “practicing my 12-tone melody and counterpoint chops.”

-Firstly, the addition of dynamics, techniques and expressions to what I’m composing seems MUCH faster than in my previous “program of choice”. It really can be done WHILE composing, and not in some sort of artificial “first the notes, than the rest”-way that I kept falling into with “that other software”. (Plus, since it’s so easy, I write much more detailed than before, which adds to number two).
-Number two is: With all the dynamics and techniques (and I can only speak for strings here) the output really comes to life and sounds much more like music than I am used to from notation software. That makes the composition process (well, mine in this use case at least) a lot less painful. I wouldn’t have thought that was such a big deal, but it actually is, especially when writing “weird” atonal melodies.

For comparison, I exported some of what I recently tried (a little invention for violin and cello) to musicXML and imported it into “you–know-what-program”. This might not be fair. But the default layout of expressions, dynamics, tempos, etc. was cluttered far beyond acceptable. It basically looked like dung. And the playback was stone-cold-dead as well. Put into the mix that inputting all this atonal stuff without barlines arguably is the way to go, and I know which software wins- by a long shot.

pianoleo,
I have a question about how you uploaded the music example. Yours does actually show in my browser without the need of it been downloaded. It just displays by itself and looks nice. What could be your secret? Is it using jpg format as opposed to png? Or do you use an especially small file size?

Here’s me, minding my own business, doing some copying/engraving work in Dorico. I think to myself, I wonder what people are saying about the cross-stave rest problem in the other thread, let’s go and have a look. WHAT’S THIS?! 1.0.20 now available? “• Improvements to the handling of bar rests in additional voices, including automatic hiding of bar rests when music is crossed to another staff”

Was not expecting that today! Time to read the blog post, check out the change-log, and get downloading!

Thank you Daniel and team, you are forever impressing me!