Thinking of adding a Yamaha N12 to my MR816

That’s the Yamaha site.

I was an early adopter of the n12 - I ordered it from a local shop before they had hit the shelves. Mine functioned perfectly and I only recently put it up for sale, which I did after getting my daisy chained MR816’s up and running. But I moved my project studio to an SSL MX-4 + Alpha Link setup and then started useing the n12 for mobile recording and it wasn’t so ideal for that use. The MR816 is so compact and powerful, I just love it. I don’t know what is different in the D/As of the MR816 compared to the n12, but neither like to be pushed up real close to 0dB. I do believe that the mic pres plus converters of the MR816 have more dimensionality than those in the n12. I try to have my peaks in the -12 to -6 range, recording at 24 bit and am really impressed with the sound quality. If I can get enough out of my n12, I think I’ll buy a 3rd MR816 so I can have mic inputs to burn.

I will miss the n12!

Obviously, but I don’t see any reason to differentiate since they are now all one beast.

I think I read somewhere that the n12 and MR816 use the exact same converters, preamps, chips, even power supply, etc… Maybe I’m wrong on some of that, but with my initial use, they do seem really close, if not the same. I’ll have to A/B them more closely and see if I’m missing something.

Either way, I’m just blown away at this and really do wish Yahama and Steinberg would push this more. It gives me great hope what is coming down the lane, though. This collaboration between Yamaha and Steinberg is very, very promising.

My “dream” configuration would be an “n18” or “n24” with fully routable buses/channels that merge/route fully with the i/o of the MR816 series (or its successor) so they are basically one integrated unit, and all that can be freely routed into/out of the computer any way that can be imagined (buses to channels, channels to buses, buses to other buses, computer + live routed to various recording buses, headphone mixes, in, out, submixed and looped if I want to with the n18/n24, etc., etc…). Then throw in some motorized faders… and call it a day. :slight_smile:

I talked to a guy at Yamaha a while back and made a similar request. I got really bummed when he said that they planned to discontinue the n series. It’s a great value and when USB3 gets all of its kinks worked out, I expect there will be highly featured 24 channel interfaces made by somebody like Presonus or M-Audio. We just have to hope that the MR series evolves.

Yeah, I was initially concerned about the longevity of the n12, but then when I learned that it uses the identical driver to the MR series, I wasn’t as worried. What drew me to it was the fantastic value, sound quality and great integration, that I honestly can’t see in any other product combination out there near its price. My very positive experience with the MR series gave me the confidence to go for it. When you factor in the Cubase side, it’s nothing short of brilliant. Yamaha is such a big company with so many divisions, product cycles, markets, etc., they seem to rarely “baby” a product for a long time. This, to me, is a sad thing in a way, since from time to time, Yamaha produces spectacular gear… this, in my opinion, is one of those gems.

The flip side of longevity for this product is that even if the drivers are not maintained for whatever reason, the n12 is a killer stand-alone mixer all by itself, with no computer needed. So unless it breaks down on me in a few years, I expect it could at worst, get demoted to glorified submixer or location device. It seems very well constructed, so I imagine it could withstand some abuse.

OK, how’s this:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/partner_products/steinberg_yamaha/steinberg_yamaha3.html