This is for everyone that has powered monitors

Lets start again:

Statement one:

This is for everyone that has powered monitors

There are monitors available where your later statements are really not relevant.

Not all powered monitors have cut off switches.

Define very large! I have some monitors that can reproduce content under 80Hz very well, and I know some more systems with the same ability.
And some users already commented on this with similar lack of understanding.

Indeed, that is true. But the vendors (designers) of the speakers are aware of this too. So there are speakers available that deal better with the problems than others.

But not all cut off switches are implemented in the same way. Some will really cut everything under 80Hz, and then you are left with no low end at all.
That’s not the solution.
In a later post, you are referring to headphones and subwoofers.
But why not in the initial post? The cut-off switch isn’t THE solution, it could be part of.

Generalizing isn’t a possible solution either.

I have been a field technician since 1966.
Telecom, Electronics, and anything else that came my way.
I have had a passion for music and audio most of my life.
In 1978 at the coaxing of many of my friends I became a recording engineer.
I had the busiest Studio in a county that had many studios.
Since the early 70’s I craved a great sound system to listen to music.
I took a course in recording techniques in 1979.
I read every Mix magazine from front to back.
In 1981 the local University hired me to teach recording engineering. This gave me the opportunity to run every experiment I ever wanted. I performed extensive diagnostics in the transparency and reflective properties of acoustic materials. This started weeding out the B.S.
At some point, the Home theater craze started.
Because of my history, many people started referring me to install their systems. My reputation spread and I was installing one or 2 systems a week.
If I ever came to a point where I didn’t understand something, I wouldn’t stop until I found the truth. I developed an awsome way of setting up and tuning a system. Yeah, which included using my ear.
One time I was getting ready to install a sound system in a restaurant and needed a special wiring configuration.
I call Beldon and got to talk to the head engineer. He asked me what wire I was currently using. When I told him, He said ’ Oh God you don’t want to use that!
I asked why and he told me about capacitance and how it affects sound.
He told me what to get and I got a little extra for the Studio.
Unbelievable difference.
After that I started learning about the power being sent to the Speaker and the importance of speaker wires being the same distance, as well as MANY other factors. Getting to apply this knowledge to real life applications gave me insight to the reality and the also the B.S. that most people take for the truth.
I had quit the studio in 1989 and went full time into my services business.
That year I became a computer technician. After my 1st crash, without knowing how to deal with it, I swore I would never be put in that position again. I spent day and night studying everything I could about computers.
I wrote my own programs and still today I provide remote support for many people as far away as Switzerland & Brazil.
In 2010, I got the bug again and this time I took my knowledge into the Studio.
I changed the Amplifier, got a good A/C Power filter, a Subwoofer and electronic crossover and using lasers and my ear, Yes My Ear, I tuned my system.
It’s what I always dreamed of although I never thought It was possible.
I fix peoples’ studios setup and I straighten out bands’ rehearsal spaces.
I also teach MIxing techniques to engineers in their studios.
Nuff said ?

If so, what’s your real name?
Or at least which country?
You are already famous!

You can find my name in my profile.
Your profile is completely empty.

I must say, it surprises me that someone with your experience and hunger for knowledge would generalize in such a broad manner as you do in this thread when the truth is always: It depends.

1 Like

This is the true answer to the question of Life, the Universe and Everything. Not 42.

Actually, I think everything I wanted to say, I’ve already said.
ex. I suggested that subwoofers are the answer if you’re not satisfied with having your speaker cutoff switch at 80 Hz.
In other words… if you don’t have a cutoff switch then this does not apply to you and I suggested an option.

My suggestion to all of you is to read it again and try to get something out of it.
Thank you all but, I am out of here.
Monitors: Please lock this post.

That is definitely not what you were writing in the initial post.

Option?

A single sine wave vs. music pumping a lot of low frequencies is a big difference in the way it affects a woofer.
Have you ever run pink noise through a spectrum analyzer in real time.
The low end is extremely violent and plays a BIG part in influencing the frequencies above it. ( up to the low mids, if I remember correctly… it’s been 40 yrs)

Are you really trying to start the discussion again?

I have been meaning to find the time to respond…
First, the subwoofer time alignment:
If you have the luxury of being able to move your subwoofer front to back, as I do in my Studio, time alighnment is very doable.
You must first find that crossover point of your near-field speakers as I described elsewhere in this post.
I play a minute and a half of a reference song that I am VERY familiar with from every listening format from headphones, studios, cars, clubs, concert halls, etc…
I listen to this every time I start working in order to calibrate my hearing and condition my self to the external factors… temperature, humidity, atmoshpheric pressure, etc.
Once I’m ready I positon myself so my hand can reach the subwoofer’s controls, and my ear can focus on the sound coming out of the nearfield Speakers. I make a rough adjust ment, then go out to the listening area and get a better sense of where I’m at. Now I can go back and polish the setting from there. I may return to the listening postion several times , if needed.
Also, at some point, if I’m able, press my midsection against the cabinet of the subwoofer. This gives me a great reference of what the subwoofer is putting out.
Once I’m satisfied with the sound, it’s on to the time alignment.

This can be done with one person, but is better with two.
By moving the SW from front to back there is an incredibly beautiful sweet point that reveals itself. Anything on either side of the sweet point creates a hardness in the music. Hardness equals phase problems. Right?
It works.

Proper time alignment without measuring isn’t possible. It depends on the small room a studio normally is.

I just use headphones but I cannot find the “cutoff” switch. Is this why my Techno is so deep?

(I’ll get my coat…)

Let’s talk about this…
These metaphors are mine. I developed them after years of installing home theater systems for people and needed an explanation that they could understand and relate to. I wanted them to know why I was doing what I was doing.
Sound is indeed like water in many ways.
It flows.
It splashes.
The speaker IS like a shower head. The sound from a speaker is projected just like water shooting out from the shower head.
The tiny drops? That is relating to the clarity of the sound. Sound coming out of a speaker is not enough. It must have clarity, definition, and dynamics.
If you place a cover/ screen on the front of your speaker, it will totally mess
with the sound (water). It will create a backpressure, and every definition of clarity will be affected.
I describe that as having ‘mush’ coming out of your speaker. If you have mush coming out of your speaker… you have a room full of mush !!

One More: ( I hope I don’t offend you here )
The Bullshit surrounding Subwoofers.
With what I talked about relating sound with water, lets take a Down-Firing firing Subwoofer. It’s like taking a fire hose and pointing straight down at the floor at a height of several inches. That is SO WRONG in SO many ways !!
Now, if all your hoping for is the Depth of the low end to fill the room, well I guess that’s okay. But, for me, that’s just a lot of mush pounding the floor and pissing off the neighbors cause the sound is getting into the structure of the house, which is acting as its own amplifier.

What I do is cut a couple of pieces of the black foam they wrap pipes with and I wrap them around the front legs of the subwoofer with black duct tape. The length of the cuts are around 4 inches.
The next step is dependant of where the SW is located. If it’s centered between the speakers then it’s easy… point the front of the SW towards the center of the listening area and liftthe front up until you find that sweet spot. Measure, cut and tape the pipe foam.

The difference in sound?
Now, you can see the ribs on the BASS strings.
Oh Yeah! Awesome !!

Gotta go.
Hope this has cleared up any questions you may have had…

Man, this thread delivers…

1 Like

I give up

Sorry. 42 still governs all that exists, both known and unknown.

I stopped using subwoofers. I got fed up with the amount of towels I went through from constantly wiping up all the bass from the floor.

LOL !!