sorry for coming back so late on this issue. In the meantime, we could now also reproduce the issue in-house and we did a fair bit of analysis on it. We do see what is going wrong, but we don’t know, yet, what is causing the issue, therefore can not fix it. But we are also in contact with Microsoft to get help from them.
Anyhow, what I want to say now is, we have found an easy workaround. People who experience this problem use the Generic Low Latency Driver. That driver uses by default the smallest possible audio buffer size of 10ms. If you increase that to 20ms (or if that does not do, even higher) then the distorted sound shall go away. To increase the buffer size, go to Edit > Device Setup. In the dialog click on ‘Device Control Panel’ button and in the then appearing window find ‘Audio buffer size’ and switch on ‘user definable’ and move up the slider below it.
Of course, this is just a workaround, it should also work with 10ms, but we are on the case and look for a proper solution.