This New Windows Update keeps screwing up Dorico's Sound

@Ulf
I tested with HALion when the sound was already messed up.
Has anyone tried using an external audio interface with its own driver to see if the problem continues?
I tried setting the buffer size to 100ms when I tried the problem, and it still didn’t work.

Hm, with 100ms I don’t expect the problem to happen. On my laptop with built-in Realtek and Generic Low Latency driver the problem went away with 20ms.
However, with my external audio interface (Steinberg UR-22mkII) it is no problem at all, which by no means is a guarantee for any other audio interface out there.

Forgive my confusion, but I couldn’t quite understand what you meant by “which by no means is a guarantee…”
Did you mean that the problem won’t exist with a Steinberg Audio Interface, but might exist with a different external audio interface?

Yes, exactly.

Not sure whether this is related, but I’m experiencing severe distortion (very “chopped up” audio, I think) after using Dorico for some time. I am using USB audio, with the external device being a Yamaha P-515 digital piano. I am using the recommended (I believe) ASIO driver - the “Yamaha Steinberg” ASIO driver. Note that I am actually using the device for general Windows apps at the same time, so perhaps I am pushing things too far. However, I didn’t have this problem until recently, so maybe it is the Windows update.
The easiest way to reset the condition is to power cycle the P-515. I can leave Dorico and the other apps running - power cycling alone clears it.
The main reason I am sharing the audio device with Windows is to allow me to switch back & forth between Dorico, and an audio transcription application. (actually, if it’s possible to configure Dorico to use external MIDI for the Dorico “beep”, I won’t actually need any audio device in Dorico at all, but I can’t see how to do that…)
The choppy audio occurs not only in Dorico - it occurs in my other app as well, which is using standard Windows audio. (not ASIO)

Hi Greg, I can’t find enough info on the P515. Do you say that you use it as an audio interface as well? So all the sound from the computer goes to the speakers of the P515? If that is the case, then the reason for distorted audio can not be Dorico, because all audio from the computer is broken. Please clarify.
Also, when you get choppy audio, please do in Dorico ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’ and attach the corresponding zip here. Thanks

Ulf - your understanding is 100% correct, and I agree - the needle of suspicion isn’t on Dorico. Will send diag report. Thanks.

FYI, I noticed that I had some services running which I know cause serious system “pauses” in real time audio apps, and I have now stopped them, and so far this problem hasn’t occurred, but will report back if it ever does. The services are Dell system monitoring related - I don’t know which specific one(s) cause the problem - I simply stop them all. If this turns out to be the problem, I apologise for wasting your time.

Thanks for reporting back, Greg.

Hello @Ulf,

I was unaware as to what NotePerformer was the latest. The Version I have is 3.3.1 and I am downloading 3.3.2 right now. Is 3.3.2 the Beta Version you were talking about? I read in the NotePerformer version history that 3.3.2 has the correction.

Hi Elwin,
yes, 3.3.2 now officially got released, that’s the one you want to have.
Should you have problems getting that going, let me know. Some users had the issue that NP would not turn up in the list any more, but we have a solution for that.

Well, This topic has officially been resolved. As long as you have NotePerformer 3.3.2, there shouldn’t be any problems