This shouldn’t be so difficult, but…

How do I upgrade to latest version of Dorico for iPad?

Open the app store and search for Dorico. If it’s already installed and an update is available, you should see a button labeled “Update.”

Thanks for responding. I have version 1.2.2.1022.

I opened the Dorico app and my installed version opened. I did not see the update button in the App Store.

Therefore I believe that the latest version is probably installed. If so, I don’t know how.

Am I correct?

Edna

"Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish."
—Steve Jobs

When the App Store window opens, there is a sidebar on the left. Click on “Updates” - that will give you the status of your software.

The above solution works for Mac OS but there is no such sidebar in the App Store for iPad. For the iPad, the following instructions have been copied from a Google search:

Open the Settings app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch. Select General > iPhone Storage. Wait a moment, and the screen will populate with storage stats for each of your installed apps. Tap the app you want to see the version number for.

WRT whether you have the latest version of Dorico for iPad, I understand these should update automatically, unlike computer apps for which you need to initiate the installation yourself. In any event, my version of Dorico for iPad is the same as yours.

If you navigate to Dorico for within the app store, the version number is right at the top. You will either have “open” as the option, if it is current, or “update” if it is not.

I highly suspect you are current, as the most recent update was 3 months ago, per the App Store. Your iPad has had plennnnty of time to update.

Thank you, Romanos401,
Your explanation was perfectly clear and made perfect sense because you covered every step!

|

• |

—Steve Jobs

1 Like

Thank you, Mike_999,

This is such a terrific explanation that I’m going to save it for future reference.

I wonder why the app doesn’t have the latest version?

—Steve Jobs

Dorico for iPad and Dorico for Desktop are two entirely different programs, with different version numbering.
If anything, Dorico for iPad can be considered the latest Dorico version in existence, as it has some more features which will make it to desktop only as of Dorico 4.

If you mean within the Dorico for iPad app itself, you should be able to see the version number when you’re in the Hub - it’s shown at the bottom of the screen.

2 Likes

I’m very grateful to those who responded to my need. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness in taking the time to help me. The best answer was that Dorico for iPad updates automatically. We don’t need to install it as the desktop software requires. I’m still amazed.
Thank you,
Edna French

2 Likes

There is one other thing to keep in mind with respect to understanding updates to iPad apps. That is, because updates are designed to happen automatically, there is no means for sellers to charge for them. This causes problems if ongoing development costs are significant and sellers have addressed this in the following ways.

1. At its simplest, vendors can opt to keep all updates cost-free;

2. For significant updates, vendors have the option to re-sell the “new” app under a different but usually clearly related name. For example, “Cubasis 2” and “Cubasis 3” were paid upgrades to the “Cubasis” app. In my case, I bought the original “Cubasis” app and can still use it but would have to purchase the new version (with no price reduction compared to a new buyer) if I wanted the new features of “Cubasis 3”. When a new paid version appears, app developers usually make efforts via emails and advertising to encourage present users to upgrade.

3. Alternatively, some apps are sold on a subscription basis and this model ensures app developers have a steady income stream to fund ongoing development. Subscription apps normally continue to update (with no adjustment to the subscription rate) even for significant overhauls adding new features.

1 Like

Thank you, Mike, for clarifying this process. I had no idea that upgrade costs were handled this way. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this important concept.

—Steve Jobs

Thank you. I can see it.

—Steve Jobs

My apologies to the group. I have a constant tremor, and sent the preceding email accidentally.

I truly appreciate you for your help.

Edna French