Thought experiment: The future for Cubase, music creators, and the paradigm shift

Maybe I was overly harsh calling it “withering” if it made it to an overwhelming 38.45% adoption in 27 years after introduction.

I have no idea how that relates in any way to my post. Where did I argue against moving into the box and resulting paradigm shifts?

I’m not sure where you saw me arguing against the desire for such an environment.

I merely expressed doubt at the likelihood of more open standards winning the day any time soon, since the trend over the last 20 years seems to have been going the other way.

What year do you think that is likely to happen?

What year do you estimate Steinberg, Apple and Avid will get it?

With respect, it’s not about your post, nor is it a direct response to your specific post. I was just contributing to the general dicussion here. You are factually wrong about IPv6, but that’s not relevant to this discussion about the future of Cubase.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you on this point.

Today if you get a 3rd party supplement. Personally I’m into Bidule as the ‘swiss army knife’ tool that allows me to fudge all sorts of ‘never had it and probably never will’ features into pretty much ANY 64bit app that can host plugins. I.E. Neither Sibelius, nor Finale, do VST3 yet (Broke relying on a free HALion player for me since it no longer comes in VST2…so Windows users on those two apps are a bit frozen out of HALion world now [Keep SE 3.5.10, but must build for it using H6 or earlier]), but with Bidule I can easily bridge some other plugin types (such as VST3) into the work flow.

In time Stienberg will dump VST2. Bidule to the rescue…I’ll be able to bridge older VST2 plugins that might never get updated to VST3 into Steinberg world.

CLAP hosting is in preliminary stages for that tool, but it’s got some real support going into it I think. The more people trying it out and offering feedback, the more/faster it’ll get kinks ironed out and more of the protocol developed/supported.

So, I can set it up as an isolated server-like host (communicate via network, OSC, MIDI, etc)…or load it up as a plugin in ‘other hosts’ and do the ‘bridge/chainer’ thing. Not uncommon to do a bit of both at the same time :wink:

The beauty of a plugin is…you can ‘bolt it on’ to just about anything :slight_smile:

Another perk of something like Bidule…are those moments when you want to insert/remove plugins and stuff while the transport is going. Try that directly in most DAWs, and you’ll get a ‘nasty’ audible ‘glitch’. Do it from inside an instance of something like Bidule…and there is no ‘glitch’. Comes in handy…handy indeed.

We had the attempt of such an OS already. That was BeOS, around the millenium. Very nice performance. Never took off. Not for technical reasons, but for money reasons.

1 Like

Like it or not, the answer is right there, and it’s that most people don’t want / need what you suggest.

But anyway, there’s the Akai MPC line. Closest thing to your suggestion. And is buggy AF, proof that this approach only sounds good on paper, but doesn’t really solve anything.

IMO I hope that Steinberg will upgrade its help system with something as chatGPT (may be buying some licenses there). But beware the Machine could insidiously take control of our creativity, then the resistance should try to send plugin in the past to preserve midi 2 and make DAWs working with Intel new Core and threads model. :wink:
Next for the sake of scifi, they could work on Musical Quantum Computer.

And you can also connect audio and midi cables and maybe a wordclock cable for good measure. :rofl:

But I prefer conveniences like

• sample accuracy
  • offline rendering,
  • automated delay compensation,
  • track freezing,
  • and more

Ya…run as a plugin then.

Some kinds of music, too much processing and force fitting just ruins it. Sometimes the mixing and processing is already there in the performance sequence…all ya need is to master it to stereo. I’m not knocking creativity and the hunt for new and fresh sounds, but there really are loads of applications where none of that is really necessary.

I bought a finished i7 PC with all the necessary drivers and audio products and plug-ins I needed for a dedicated Cubase Workstation… Once Cubase was working and stable, I only added items which were a necessity for this purpose. Since then, circumstances required the addition of other non-music products,… que cera,… I’m happy that it’s still a dedicated resource. I was a keen ADOBE Photoshop user for many years,… But when Adobe went to a monthly recurring charge model, I bailed,…
For graphics creating I now use GIMP … which is an open source clone of Photoshop. It’s a free product and doesn’t require a monthly fee to remain operational. If I was a business, I may consider using a recurring cost model as I could write some of those costs off against tax. I will NOT be doing that for a product which is, ultimately, a highly valued luxury… No matter how much I love it.

1 Like