Thoughts and recommendations for USB/thunderbolt interfaces and Apple Silicon Macs

OK Update:

So, Metric halo units are in incredibly short supply. the UK distributor quoted 6 months wait time?
Luckily I was able to order one up from Thomann in Germany - but even that took 6-7 weeks.
My Mac Studio arrived before the MH unit so I was able to commission that.
I made a clone of my B studio machine (An Intel Mac Mini already on Monterey) on an external SSD.
I booted from this and spent some happy time uninstalling anything that wasn’t going to work on the M1 Max processor.
Miraculously the week the Mac Studio arrived, there was a release PT that was approved for Apple Silicon Monterey. So that was installed along with any updated plugins that I use for mastering. I’m glad that’s not many…
Wavelab installed (all the prefs copied over as part of migration assistant.)

The migration onto the new machine went smooth as butter.

The new system has been running perfectly and as sole system in my main room for 2 weeks.
Feels really solid and no issues.

Oh, and my Mac Studio is near silent. Thankfully!

Thanks for the update. I think we’re just a couple weeks away from having a native M1 WaveLab release as well, including ability to run without a USB dongle. There’s really just one plugin I use often that isn’t M1 yet so now is the time to take inventory on what you like to use and whether or not it’s M1 native or if you’ll have to keep using WaveLab in Rosetta mode for now.

I was wondering about the new Mac Studio fan noise. Is it something you can tolerate if it’s about 6 feet away or does it need to be in a machine room?

I have a 2019 Mac Pro right now that doesn’t need a machine room but I’m guessing at some point I’ll want to update my main studio rig to an M1, whether it’s the Mac Studio or eventual Apple Silicon Mac Pro.

Hi Justin

There seems to be conflicting reports:
Mine is REALLY quiet. I have it about 4 feet away. Not an issue at all.
It’s much quieter than my Cheesegrater Mac Pro (esp as that had a noisy HDX card in it)
At this distance the wireless keyboard works GREAT which as it has touch ID is a big plus when doing software installs etc.

I admit between ordering and it arriving i was spooked by the reports of fan noise, but it (at least in my case) turned out not to be the case.

All my utility apps like HOFA player/maker and DDP creator plus metadatics that I use for metadata etc all run great.

i updated SuperDuper and carbon copy Cloner and all running great too.

That was actually the smoothest computer switch over I can remember

Peter

Thanks for the report. I heard about fan noise concerns too.

And yes, everything is working solid on my M1 laptop and it’s a fun time to be working on a Mac. I’m looking forward to the last of the plugins I use now and then becoming M1 native so Rosetta mode isn’t needed for WaveLab anymore.

I’m using an Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt with an MacBook Pro M1 Pro and working well with Cubase 12. The interface is discontinued but Apogee has some on their website. It is TB 2 so you’ll need an adapter.