Three questions here about WLE8

#1) The internal dithering program, is it the same as what is in WL8 and is this the iZotope BIT+ product?

[From the iZotope ‘PRESS’ pages: iZotope MBIT+ Dither to be Included in Steinberg WaveLab 8

Musikmesse, Frankfurt, Germany (April 10, 2013) - iZotope, Inc, a leading innovator in digital signal processing, has licensed its MBIT+ Dither for integration into Steinberg Media Technologies’ WaveLab 8, a versatile audio editing and mastering suite.

“iZotope stands for high-quality solutions in audio processing. Naturally, for WaveLab 8 we were looking for the best dither plug-in available, and iZotope’s MBIT+ marks the cutting edge of what’s possible with dithering technology today,” says Steinberg Media Technologies Product Marketing Manager, Timo Wildenhain.

“We are thrilled to offer our MBIT+ Dither algorithm for an award-winning mastering application from Steinberg,” adds Scott Simon, Business Development Manager for iZotope. “It’s been our mission to help deliver the highest audio quality possible to our users and by partnering with Steinberg, our advanced Dither technology will now be available to the WaveLab community as well.” ]

#2) I brought an edited 32 bit WL mix - no dithering - back into the project window of WLE8 and next applied only 24bit dithering - and the audio is noticeably louder, visually on my outboard gear and to my ear. How did dithering add gain?

#3) On the above mentioned clip, I dithered to 24bit, but when I opened it in WLE8 the WL window in the lower right corner still reported it as 32bit - and - as I checked it with my bit meter, it was 24 bit. I see I can change the bit rate to 24bit in the lower right hand window, but doesn’t WL sense this and do this automatically?

Thanks!

#1) The internal dithering program, is it the same as what is in WL8 and is this the iZotope BIT+ product?

No. iZotope BIT+ is only in WaveLab, and is a plugin.0

#2) I brought an edited 32 bit WL mix - no dithering - back into the project window of WLE8 and next applied only 24bit dithering - and the audio is noticeably louder, visually on my outboard gear and to my ear. How did dithering add gain?

I have no explanation for this. This should not happen. Are you sure the master fader is neutral? Use the Global Analysis tool for further diagnostics.

#3) On the above mentioned clip, I dithered to 24bit, but when I opened it in WLE8 the WL window in the lower right corner still reported it as 32bit - and - as I checked it with my bit meter, it was 24 bit. I see I can change the bit rate to 24bit in the lower right hand window, but doesn’t WL sense this and do this automatically?

You confuse the sample resolution and the file format. In your case, you have 32 bit storing 16 bit of valid info (the other bits are zero). When you save your file, you have to select the proper bit format.

PG, what means ‘plugin.0’? Also why do you speak of 16 bit when I spoke of 24 bit?

Bummer about the BIT+ plugin being only in WL8 but only because I am lead to believe it is pretty good. And on this note, is WLE8 then using an unbranded version of UV22? Is there a written explanation somewhere of this ‘internal’ dithering program in WLE8?

Lastly, can I assume that iZotope5 can be used in WLE8 without issue?

Thanks, again.

PG, what means ‘plugin.0’?

Just a typo. I meant “plugin”.

Also why do you speak of 16 bit when I spoke of 24 bit?

My explanation is the same with 24 bits.

Bummer about the BIT+ plugin being only in WL8 but only because I am lead to believe it is pretty good. And on this note, is WLE8 then using an unbranded version of UV22? Is there a written explanation somewhere of this ‘internal’ dithering program in WLE8?

The Internal dithering is yet another thing.

Lastly, can I assume that iZotope5 can be used in WLE8 without issue?

I guess so.

Well, thank you for the answers, PG. The iZotope5 ‘lite’ version looks like something I will purchase.