thumb sign (cello, bass fingering)

Dear Daniel,

Please include a legible (more so than in Sibelius) thumb sign for us cellists and bass players in the Dorico’s fingerings. Thank you, and best wishes!

Is the one shown here:

https://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/string-techniques.html

sufficiently legible? That page shows all of the string technique characters in the Bravura font (though of course they’re very small – you may need to zoom in with your browser to see them more clearly).

Daniel, that looks ok, but I wouldn’t have it any smaller or skinnier, though… Cellists can sometimes mistake the thumb sign for open string or harmonic if the font is not sufficiently clear.

Thank you for including my suggested “uniE626.salt01 stringsChangeBowDirectionLiga Change bow direction, indeterminate” (Pricope) and designing such clear glyph.

Best regards, and looking forward to Dorico,
Andrei

Hello, Andrei and Daniel. Thanks for starting this thread four years ago! Just getting into Dorico, and I’m loving it.

I’m running into an issue where I’d like use the “thumb position” symbol in a part that involves double stops. In these situations, when the note stopped by the thumb happens to be the lower of the two notes, I cannot get the thumb symbol to appear directly below the upper string’s fingering number. For example, say I am playing a major sixth, with the thumb stopping the lower note and the 1st finger stopping the higher note. I’d like to be able to represent that with a 1 over a “Thumb pos” symbol, with both indications appearing above the staff. Currently, since the thumb position symbol comes from a different set of indicators, it always goes above the other fingering, or, when I tell it to appear below, it goes all the way below the staff. Thanks for your help!

Best,
James

Type T in the fingering popover to get the thumb symbol. It will then be positioned the same way as the numbers 1-5.

For your example select the chord and type T,1 in the popover.

1 Like