Tie note to a rest/empty bar

Good morning,
I would like to input a tie in Dorico which ends to an empty bar, in order to indicate the player that he shoud end the note on the very first beat of the next bar, but I am not able to find a way to do it.

Thank you!

Use l.v. ties (select the note and look for l.v. tie in the properties, the bottom panel). You can tweak the length of the lv tie in Engrave mode.
Or use a “fake note”, but I think it’s more cumbersome (you have to scale it to 1%, make sure it’s really invisible, make sure the bar rest is showing as you’re expecting it to, etc.)

1 Like

Hi there

I’ve met this notation occasionally. It is ambiguous and, taken on its own, players can easily mistake it to mean laissez vibrer.

For instruments which don’t naturally l.v. players have been known to disguise the ending of the note by playing slightly longer than notated with a quick dim a niente.

Since that is not what you want, I suggest that you either include a textual explanation of the tie, or abandon the tie altogether.

In some circumstances an accent on the following rest has the effect of ensuring full length for the previous note, although the dynamic implications of that might not suit your needs.

Hope that helps
Jeremy

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 6.42.01 AM

3 Likes

“Please play all notes full length, unless indicated to the contrary.” :grinning:

(See previous discussions for context.)

1 Like

I agree with you, but the issue is that it is not a work written by me, I am making a copy for another composer, and in a very special style of music, in which this notation is very very common to indicate the form of playing that I have described above.

Thank you so much!

I wondered if it might be something like that. What area of music/tradition/style is it? How long do these players hold notes that don’t have dangly ties on them?

It is music from Catalonia, written for a stunningly interesting ensemble named “Cobla”, which comprises some unically Catalan wind instruments (flabiol, tible, tenora and fiscorn) and trumpets and trombone.

90% of Cobla music is written in 2/4 or 6/8, and the players tend to end, for example the written half notes on the last 8th note of the bar, as if there were an 8th note rest. When composers want specifically these half notes to be ended on the very first beat of the next bar, they usually write this tie to the rest.