Tieing notes

Dorico 5 Beginner. When I try to tie a half note to an eighth, it becomes 3 eighth notes. See picture (hope the screen shot worked). How can I tie the half note to the eighth without changing the half note to 2 eighths?

Welcome to the forum (and to Dorico), @Sulaine !

While there are specific instances (involving “Force Duration” when entering notes) when a note duration might be unusually split into smaller tied values, I’m not sure how a half note could possibly become three eighth notes.

I think we’ll need to see a Dorico file from you to be able to help.

Here are some helpful guidelines from Daniel Spreadbury of the Dorico team:

What time signature applies to this measure?

@Derrek has a good question. You may even have a 3/4 time signature hidden somewhere.

Turn Signposts on and you will see.

If not, attach a sample project.

1 Like

The time signature is 4/4. Thank you.

I’m a Dorico beginner. What are signposts and where are they? Thank you.

Signposts “indicate the positions of important items or changes that cannot be seen in the score, such as key signatures with no accidentals, hidden items, and rhythmic feel changes.”

You can read about them (and how to show/hide them) here.

@Sulaine , I (and no doubt all of our fellow forum members) hope you’re enjoying your early explorations of Dorico! Did you use other notation software prior (I, for example, used a different app for 30+ years)? If so, there are a few paradigm shifts. And whether or not you have, it’s a robust application, and therefore there’s lots to learn.

I’d like to share a few things I found really helpful as I started to get oriented (and which I continue to learn lots from, in addition to searching this forum):

1. Dorico manual’s discussion of the fundamental concepts and design principles
  2. The Dorico YouTube channel (some of which are the videos embedded throughout the online manual)

I have never regretted spending the time up front to watch/read, pause-and-try-something-out, then press on to the next area!

Thank you.

Thank you for your information.

I’ve followed your directions up to Play > Playback Template. I clicked on Play but don’t see the words “Playback Template.” Also don’t know how to reapply the default playback template.

@Sulaine , below are a couple of screenshots that should help. (BTW, those are @dspreadbury 's instructions; I cannot claim credit for them.)

Hope this helps!

Playback Template… is found under the Play Menu:

Apply Playback Template Silence is at the bottom of the scrolling list. Just press the Apply and Close button and you’ll be “in business.”

I read the manual every time I try to do something in Dorico. Also I’ve watched several YouTube videos. However, I get frustrated when I don’t know what is meant by the use of particular English words. Example: In a Properties description, I don’t know what is meant by the word “complete” in the following sentence:
“In Write mode, you can only change the properties of complete notes and items.” (What does “complete” mean in this context?)
In the videos with a British person speaking, sometimes I can’t understand that person due to their British accent. These situations happen often when trying to figure out how to do something.

These pictures are very clear. But, when I press Play, I do not get a listing of items. I get a pictue of the tracking. I have a Mac. Does that make a difference?

Time signature is 4/4.

You need to click the Play menu, not the Play mode button.

As to the point about complete notes, the important thing to know is that Dorico considers chains of tied notes, that is to say multiple noteheads joined by ties, to be single notes. In Write mode you can only set properties that effect the entire note, whereas in Engrave mode you can interact with individual notes heads if necessary.

Where is the Play Menu?

@Sulaine , I found that entry, which has a little more context: “You can only change a complete note or a complete notation. To make changes to individual parts of notes or notations, switch to Engrave mode, for example, if you want to change the length of a note stem.”

“Complete note” means you are not trying to make engraving adjustments such as altering the length of the note’s stem, it’s precise left-to-right positioning a measure, etc. Those kinds of (visual) changes are made in Engrave Mode. Write mode is for things like entering/deleting notes, adding accidentals, etc.

I will say that, even as a native (Northeastern-American) English speaker, I had trouble making sense of that sentence until I read the next one, so I can only imagine the additional challenge for a user whose first/primary language is not English!

As I understand it, the Dorico documentation team has already made great progress on versions of the manual in other languages, and I imagine those efforts will continue. (@Lillie_Harris or @dspreadbury can comment on that with actual knowledge of the status and plans for that.)

Got it. Thanks. I was looking at the wrong toolbar.

1 Like