Time display on ruler when you "Set timecode at cursor"

A problem I run to all the time is the time display on the ruler when I “set timecode at cursor”. When set to “seconds” the ruler normally, depending on zoom level, will show you number such as 0, 10, 20, or 1, 5, 10, 15. etc. which is great. But once you change the position of 0 second to a different bar (I think most of us use an empty bar for MIDI CC), then the seconds (and timecode) displayed are displaced depending on the time before said bar. For example, if set the 0sec at bar 1 with a tempo of 120 I get a time offset of 2 seconds. This means that the ruler now shows 3, 8, 13, 18, or 3, 13, 23, etc. OBviously that’s not a huge problem and you can still get a sense of the time, but it gets annoying when the offset is not a round number because of the tempo. For example, if the tempo is 130 then you get a ruler like the one in the attached picture. I think we can all agree this is rather confusing…
Capture.PNG
My suggestion is simple: make the ruler constantly showing rounded numbers (by 5, 10, etc) but always starting from 0.

PS. One workaround is to add a 10/4 bar of 120bpm as your first bar of your template. This way you still get a 5sec offset.

1 Like