Time Signature — Absolute Size

Hello, I was wondering if there was a way to change the absolute size of normal time signatures shown at system object positions? I created a new project file for each page of my score so that I can adjust the page size depending on each page’s content, and really enjoy the fact that other text objects can be set to absolute values so that they stay the same no matter what page size I’m on. Is the same possible with time signatures shown at system object positions?
Thank you!
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian, You can change the font style of time signatures, there are a couple of different styles used in different contexts.

On a related note, you possibly don’t need to have a separate project for each page - there are a couple of alternatives available to you.

1. Instead of changing the page size, you could change the staff size on each page to accommodate the music on that page better (i.e. where you’re currently increasing the page size, instead decrease the staff size)
  2. If you really do want different page sizes, you could have multiple full score layouts in the same project, all showing the same linked music (so if you have to edit the music itself, you don’t have to make the same change in lots of projects). If you get the casting off the same in all layouts (e.g. by getting the first one how you’d want it and then propagating that to the other layouts), then the bars and page numbers will line up; you can set a different page size in each layout and then collate the necessary pages later after exporting to PDF.

Hi Lillie,
Thanks so much for your kind reply!

For some reason, this feature doesn’t work. Perhaps that’s because I changed the time signature font in the music symbols dialog? I suppose I will have to work with the Custom Scale settings for now.

That’s a fantastic idea, thank you!

That’s a great feature, too! The reason I am working with individual project files is that it gives me more control over clef changes and percussion changes. (E.g., if I change from the Tub. Bells to a Triangle, I prefer to keep the 5-line-staff and the treble clef for the remainder of the current page if the triangle isn’t going to play for another page turn.)

Again, thanks so much for your help!!

If you want to use a different time signature font than the one used by default, set the layout to use the plain font, and change the font style in Edit Font Styles. The plain font can be any font; the Time Signature Font must be SMuFL-compliant, as described.

For handling percussion changes with more control, you could also not use separate instruments, and instead just label notes belonging to the prevailing instrument (or a generic instrument whose notes you label manually). It’s up to you, but it’s likely that some other method of handling this situation in a single project is easier than maintaining separate projects.

You can also control the visibility of clef changes or show different clefs at a clef change according to the layout transposition (although that’s for explicit clef changes, not as part of instrument changes I believe).