Time signature between flows

In the Parts of an Opera score where each Flow corresponds to a new Scene, is there a way to automatically show the Time Signature of the following Flow? In this Opera, the Flows are all “attacca”, so I need to see the new Time Signature at the end of the last system of each Flow leading to the next. Any way to automatically show these?

Thanks

I don’t think there’s another way than the one Leo described in a thread a while ago. As far as I remember, it involves adding a bar, changing the rest size to 1%, and there was another hack (if you have condensed staves, because then the 1% scaling is not working). Search the forum, you should find it :wink:

1 Like

The complete opposite case to the one where the user doesn’t want a cautionary time signature at the end of a section that is not the end of a flow! Yes, the connection between “flows” and cautionary signatures definitely needs some revision, as mentioned by Daniel in another thread.

2 Likes

I think that’s where the coda trick is helpful, John. But yes, we all agree there’s still some work to do in that area…

1 Like

It’s interesting that while Finale has no trouble with such cautionary situations, a coda trick is necessary for situations in which a system must end in the middle of a line and another start immediately after it on that line. I assume that Dorico has no trouble starting a new flow in the middle of a line such as the following, where each variation would need to be a separate flow:

1 Like

This would require some Master Page trickery. If it started on a new system, then it’s pretty automatic.

1 Like

Thanks Craig. Are you saying that it requires a work-around but is possible with flows?

And if not, can you start a Coda like that in the middle of a line?

1 Like

It’s possible with flows but not without master page hackery.

It’s a piece of cake with a coda though.

2 Likes

So in this case, one could have a separate flow for the theme and each variation except where the situation above arises, and there one would make, say, Var. 2 a coda to Var. 1?

1 Like

One certainly could.

1 Like

Thank you, pianoleo.

1 Like