Time stretch with Logical Editor, instead of click&drag.

I’m trying to make a Logical Editor preset for nudging the end of a MIDI part by the quantize value, or at least for a length value that I choose. I know I can use the tool that sizes by applying time stretch, but, as you may already know, Logical Editor presets can be assigned to keyboard commands (or Genereric Remotes), which can make the editing process a bit less painful.

For short, is there a way to make a Logical Preset (or a macro) that would act like the “Size Applying Time Stretch” tool?

I already tried the settings that I’ve typed below. But the preset doesn’t give me what I need. That is, a constant time stretch mouseless command. Everytime I apply the preset, everything gets multiplied by 2. With It, if I apply it 5 times, I end up having a MIDI part that is 32x larger.
→ filter: type is “note”
→ action target: position (multiply by 2.0000), length (multiply by 2.0000).

Thank you.

You can myltiply by 1.01 too. It will add 1% of existing length.

I guess I know for what you need your pseudoquantization :slight_smile:
So if you play without metronome and want to stretch it to fit in time, you need to use other tools to achieve this. Use Time Warp (not with musical events follow), place tempo markers near notes that should be in sync with your rhythm, then delete all tempo points and you will have your melody in sync with project’s tempo.

But in Logical Editor you can multiply not only by 2, but also 1.5 and 0.5 - multiplying by 0.5 will give the same result as dividing by 2. I’m sure you know mathematics :wink:

So if you have recorded your melody in 3 bars, but it should be fitted in 4 bars, then you should mathematically find the value to multiply by. In this case it will be 1.3333, but with this value you won’t have it stretched precisely (because you cannot use 1.333333333333333333333…) which will give you almost perfect result. So there will be some ms between end of the last event and next bar, so you should quantize or leave as is for more live sounding :slight_smile: Take in count if you will copy not by dragging, but by repeating, you should have parts fitted in bars (or beats).

You can multiply by 1.01 too. It will add 1% of existing length.

Yes, but next time, when I apply the LE preset, 1% will mean something else. So this is not a solution. I need to increase (time stretch) the MIDI part by the currently selected quantize value (say, by 1 quarter note, or 1 whole note, etc).

Use Time Warp (not with musical events follow), place tempo markers near notes that should be in sync with your rhythm, then delete all tempo points and you will have your melody in sync with project’s tempo.

This is another miracle of Cubase. Ableton users suffer greatly because this is not present in the DAW.

But in Logical Editor you can multiply not only by 2, but also 1.5 and 0.5 - multiplying by 0.5 will give the same result as dividing by 2. I’m sure you know mathematics

I sucked at math actually… Anyway, this again is not a solution to what I’m asking. I want time stretch by the quantize value, but not by using the Size tool (i.e. using a mouse).

Take into account that if you will copy not by dragging, but by repeating, you should have parts fitted in bars (or beats).

This is really good to know.