timestretching bugged to bits ?

make a new project
set it to 48 khz
drop a 48 khz loop into the project
try and timestretch it any direction, longer or shorter
fails bigtime

I tried to do the same in 44 khz, and the timestretching works fine and as normal

windows 7 64 bit, cubase 6 64 bit
fresh install of system today

What type of loop? Is it audio, or other?

What is the exact method you are using to ts?

normal audio loop, stereo 48 khz 24 bit wav

Im using the “object selection” button, selecting the “sizing applies time stretch” option.

the result I get is really odd…
the pitch and tempo is changed, into another pitch than original, and the tempo is changed into something else than how I stretched it. its as if the tempo loses the track of where its suppose to be. it does not stretch into the tempo set by the track itself, for example 120 bpm.

also I get a graphical bug…
all of the stretched loop is not shown properly, its as if the last bit is not taken into account after the stretching.

all of this only happens in 48 khz, not in 44.

Same problem here.
I tried cubase 6 32 bit (i7-950 win7 64, i7 Q720 win7 64, athlon 6400 x2…not supported xp sp3):
only 44.1 works, not 48 or 88.2 or 96KHz.
Support said to trash all preferences (in my case also cubase 5 pref.) and restart, but did not work.

An oversight: in my case “sizing applies time stretch” works (all sample rates).
If I use menu/audio/process/time stretch only 44.1KHz works.

Are these loaded files set to 48?
Or is it the Project Setup setting?
Could also the Soundcard driver setting be relevant?

In the Project Setup has the help file any explanation for you?

Just thinking that if these are somehow set “out of line” ie: having different sample rate settings in any of these departments might affect the way samples behave when timestretch is applied.

I observe generally that unless you need a sample rate specifically other than 44.1 that it’s best to stick with that rate at least with Cubase but other DAWs could be problematic at other rates too.

For your info, 48Khz audio files are standard throughout the video/film industry - so the ‘best-to-stick-with’ is maybe not needed.

[EDIT] In light of below post from Jeff Hayat, I removed some of my comments here about file SR/bit depth needing to match the projects settings

Hmmm - dont have C6, but I can confirm that this works fine in C5 - regardless of the proj sample rate, regardless of the audio sample rate.

to conman:
as I stated above, the project is set to 48 khz, the loop imported is 48 khz, and this procedure of timestretching is working perfectly in cubase 5 at both 44, 48 and 96 khz. it is not working in cubase 6, using 48 or 96 khz projects and loops.
there is no other change in my hardware, there is only changes in the software.

I use mainly 48 khz for projects, and sometimes 96 khz for some various projects, but the overall standard is 48 khz.
I never use 44 khz. if I get material at 44 khz, I upsample the material to 48 khz in external audio editor before I start to work with it in Cubase.

I tried a few ways to timestretch things in cubase 6 when working in 48 khz, and most ways dont work.

going thru the menu Audio - Advanced - Stretch to Project Tempo = fails
going thru the menu Audio - Process - Time Stretch = fails (at any of the different settings and variables used)
going thru the toolbar - Object Selection and using Sizing Applies Timestretch = fails

however…
open the Sample Editor, selecting tab AudioWarp and enabling Musical Mode = kinda works, there is a small silence in the start of playback (when the cursor is starting from the beginning of the warped loop).
this does seem to work kinda ok, but… the fact that I cannot select the actual length of the stretch is very annoying.

one of the main things I use timestretching for, is to create various other lengths of the same original loops, and to use them in conbinations within each other and to actually discover new rhythmic sounds and samples.
this editing is of course all in the same project tempo, and now as this dont work in 48 khz, am I suppose to downgrade all my samples into 44, and work at 44 ?
dont think so, as it worked just fine in cubase 5…

of course I realize this is a .0 version and there is bound to be some initial bugs and what not, but I dont think this is the case here, unless there has been a major change in the basic timestretch engine. for sake of argument, lets say there is a major change in the timestretch department. I would assume there should be several tests made pre release of such a new enhanced feature before it actually makes it into a product. atleast there should be minimum testing on all sample rates, just to make sure there is no weird things going on anywhere.
the basic idea must surely be to have it work better than it has done in earlier versions. or in worst case scenario, as it did in the earlier version. that should be (atleast) a minimum requirement.
there is an old saying… if it aint broke, dont fix it…

lets take this idea and put it into a different but somehow similar context.
a carcompany makes really great cars, and all seems to work ok.
one day the company comes up with a new idea about brakes. this idea results in mounting new brakes into the cars.
once out on the road, a customer is braking for a red light. and the brakes dont work.
later, the customer asks the company, didnt you try these brakes before you put them into the cars ?
yes of course we did, says the company, how fast were you going ?
I was going around 10 mph, replies the customer.
well, there it is, says the company. we only tested the brakes at 5 mph…

:wink:

I tried again. This is what happens here in 48 KHz projects
(I’m sure everything is properly clocked and samples are
properly converted to project sample rate and size)

-going thru the menu Audio - Advanced - Stretch to Project Tempo = timing is ok, but the pitch is down
-going thru the menu Audio - Process - Time Stretch = fails timing and pitch (down)
-going thru the toolbar - Object Selection and using Sizing Applies Timestretch = timing ok, but pitch down
-opening the Sample Editor, selecting tab AudioWarp and enabling Musical Mode = works and there isn’t the small
silence in the start of playback (when the cursor is starting from the beginning of the warped loop)

I can confirn: doing the same procedures in 44.1 projects, time stretch works.

Same test in cubase 5: works 44 and 48

I said “generally”. So don’t get paranoid as exception to the general rule, of course, includes Hollywood employees. :mrgreen: And games music composers but as that only comprises a small %age of those posting here I thought I was on safe ground from the ones who jump on peoples’ heads for imaginary reasons.

o conman:
as I stated above, the project is set to 48 khz, the loop imported is 48 khz, and this procedure of timestretching is working perfectly in cubase 5 at both 44, 48 and 96 khz. it is not working in cubase 6, using 48 or 96 khz projects and loops.
there is no other change in my hardware, there is only changes in the software.

Sorry, I couldn’t see that before it was edited which is why I asked. Thanks for the clarification though. Now I know what to test.

I said “maybe” not needed… :wink:

bump

Yes this is a bug for sure! I came across this the first time I tried C6!

Hello,

I confirm too.
New project in 48khz, using variaudio then “flatten”, the result is as you played a 48khz file in a player set at 44khz.
Works fine with cubase 5.5.2 but not with cubase 6 !

Crikey, this bug hits me pretty bad too - I only track in 48 and 96K.

well, I guess the good news is that this it can now be defined as a bug.
lets hope that steiny peeps gets a swift fix for it real soon :slight_smile:

Hello,

thanks for reporting. We will investigate this (28106)

Cheers,

Chris