Timestretching Question

Hello,
Perhaps this is a silly question, nonetheless, having the answer will make my life easier.

I am editing live drums, which are played to a click, however the timing is a little loose on the drummer’s part. Some drum hits are early, others are late.
After creating slices for the hits, and quantizing the audio, I am left with some silent/blank gaps from where the audio was quantized.
Is there a quick way of having the slices timestretched to the next audio files, so there are no silent/blank areas on the track?
Right now, I timestretch each individual audio slice, and it takes up a good amount of time.

Select all and create crossfades. Listen and move the fades if phasing or double hits occur. Still time consuming but there’s not really a faster way. If you timestretch multitrack material you will kill the phase relations between the tracks, which can sound interesting but is far from transparent editing.

Thank you. I will definitely give this a try.

Nuendo allows for drum editing to solve these sorts of problems.

See something like Cubase 8 303: Cubase 8 303 - Mix Prep: Bass Drum Tracks - 14. Basic Drum Editing - YouTube although there are a lot of video tutorials for drum editing in Cubase/Nuendo.

And if you don’t like the ‘slice-n-dice’ method… came across this recently - looks interesting; I haven’t tried it myself.

This demonstrates the ‘FreeWarp’ method of timestretching, on multi-channel audio (multi-track audio in one WAV file for those not aware); you convert quickly via the ‘Audacity’ music editor app (its free), bring it back in to Cubendo, do your timestretch (slipping a few beats timing here and there) then save out and re-import as separate tracks (watch the vid). This ensures phase coherence is kept and no gaps/slices are created or harmed in the making of your timing adjustments. :slight_smile:

In essence, using Audacity avoids having to set up a separate ‘Surround Sound’ (multi-channel) project in Cubendo first, to load your drum tracks into, where you’d then create the multi-channel single file to perform your ‘FreeWarp’ edits.

Or, I guess you could add a dummy multi-channel (Surround) group say, to your existing project, purely for the purposes of generating this single (multi-channel) file; then follow the methods in the vid…? Haven’t tried that either… its all received wisdom with me… :wink:

Anyway, good luck…!
Puma

I can’t begin to thank you guys enough. Of course, once I watched those videos and learned from it, I watched more stuff and realized how many more features I can’t wait to discover.

Thank you.