Tips Tricks And Workflow Goodness

This is a thing of beauty. I did get META Grid, but, so far I’ve not integrated it. For now, my controller is doing the job, but I know META Grid is better.

Excellent work. The screens look great.

There are 2 little buttons on the upper right side of Groove Agent SE, one is ABS or Rel (It’s set to ABS by default)
and the other one is Pad or Sel (It’s set to Pad by default). If you press the Pad button to switch it to Sel (while the multi samples pad is selected) you can now chose the sample you want to change the volume or any other parameters and it will only change the settings of that sample within the Pad instead of all the samples within the pad. So just select the sample, tweak some buttons and when you select another sample on the same pad you’ll see the the tweaks you made won’t affect the other samples :slight_smile: I find That really usefull instead of having to have 3 midi notes for my kick sound, I just have one and tweak it inside Groove Agent SE.

Hello guys. Does anybody know how to do the folowing thing with macro or logical editor?
Create 20 (or whatever even number) od tracks.
Pan odd tracks to the left and even to the right.

What are you trying to accomplish? Probably easier to set it up by hand and then save them as a Track Preset.

Trying to do it using Macros & PLE Presets (fyi, not LE) will get cumbersome because of dialog boxes.

Hi,

I would also go for the track preset.

Or if you want it as a start of your project, you can save it as a template project.

If you want to add it to an existing project already, your can make a project like this, save it and then import from project to your origin project.

Here’s a macro that saves me tons of time editing.

• Split, Fade & delete previous Event -

make sure your track and event is selected
RANGE select the event you wish to split

Macro-
Edit-Split Range
Transport - Locate Selection Start
Tool - Object Selection Tool
Edit - Select events under cursor
Audio -crossfade
Transport - Locate Previous event
Transport - Locate Previous event (yes twice… don’t ask)
Edit - Select events under cursor
Edit - Delete
Transport - Locate selection start
Tool - Range Selection tool

Great for isolating events like Tom hits, Vocal lines, etc.
Use Range Tool to select
Assign a Hotkey and away you go
split.JPG

2 Likes

ake sure the ‘Use Mouse Wheel for Event volume and Fades’ option is activated in Preferences. Editing/Audio page.
[ALT]+Click on an audio event to cut it around the area you want to change, then hover the mouse over it and mouse wheel up for louder (up to 24db) or down for softer. Will also work for multiple selections or entire Audio events. Won’t work for an Audio Part unless you dissolve part first [CTL]+ right[option] click to open context menu and choose Audio/Dissolve Part.
[CTL]+M/Wheel near front of event to adjust fade in or near rear for fade out.

Hi,

In the post-production, the sound engineers do this tasks 100 times per day. Their workflow is different:

• Add Direct Offline Process > Gain +3dB as Favourite. Assign Key Command A.
  • Add Direct Offline Process > Gain +1dB as Favourite. Assign Key Command B.
  • Add Direct Offline Process > Gain -1dB as Favourite. Assign Key Command C.
  • Add Direct Offline Process > Gain -3dB as Favourite. Assign Key Command D.

Then select the Audio Event and hit the relevant Key Command. If it’s not enough and you need to increase by +6dB, hit the A Key Command twice.

This is the fastest workflow, I have ever seen.

They use the very same approach to apply EQ settings (gain/reduce some frequencies) and other tasks.

2 Likes

Hi guys. I’m looking find the quickest way to do the following MIDI note edits. Would appreciate suggestions and pointers. Haven’t been able to figure it out.

1. Staggering notes to form a “strum”:
    Let’s say I have a C maj chord where C, E and G have the same note start time. Let’s say my quantize is 1/8. I would like to shift E’s note start position by 1/8 and G’s by 1/4. I came across a video describing this functionality in FL studio (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIvc0h7ktg4). I’m sure there must be a way to do it in Cubase, just that I don’t know where to start.

2. Hi-Hats:
    Say I have a series of MIDI 1/4 notes and I want to cut them all in half so that they become a series of 1/8 notes. What’s the quickest way to do it? When using the slice tool, I am only able to edit one note at a time.

Hi,

Make a Macro of these two Logical Editor presets:
1: Shift the 2nd note in the chord (from the bottom):

Filter Target
( Type is | Equal | Note | And
Context Variable | Equal | note Number in Chord (lowest = 0) | 1 )

Action Target
Position | Add | 0.0.1.0 PPQ

Function
Transform

2: Shift the 3rd note in the chord (from the bottom):

Filter Target
( Type is | Equal | Note | And
Context Variable | Equal | note Number in Chord (lowest = 0) | 2 )

Action Target
Position | Add | 0.0.2.0 PPQ

Function
Transform

Btw, there is the “strumming tool” when you select the Trim tool and hold down Alt modifier. You would need to do it manually for every single chord, but at the other hand, you can do up/down strumming.

Of course, you can prepare your Logical Editor preset for up and down strumming too.

I would go this way:

• Hold down Shift + double-click to the 2nd MIDI Note in the raw. All but the very 1st MIDI Notes of the pitch will be selected.
  • Delete all selected MIDI Notes notes.
  • Change the length of the 1st MIDI Note to the length, you want to play the MIDI Notes.
  • Select Split tool.
  • Hold down Alt modifier and click the MIDI Note 1/8th from the beginning.

=> The MIDI Note will be splitter repeatedly by 1/8.

Another way to get the same:

• Hold down Shift + double-click to the 1st MIDI Note in the raw. All MIDI Notes of the pitch will be selected.
  • Set the Grid to 1/8.
  • MIDI > Functions > Fixed Lengths.
  • Hold down Alt modifier, click any of the MIDI Note and shift it (while Alt is down) 1/8 right.

=> All selected MIDI Notes will by copied 1/8 to the right.

4 Likes

Oh wow. Thank you so much. Will check these out!

Both of these worked like a charm. Thank you!

Martin, you are a GENIUS !

1 Like

Cubase iC Pro lets you set up pages of labeled buttons that perform Cubase actions — like macros, but you don’t have to remember keystrokes.

1 Like

Here is something I find useful in comping tracks without using lanes and the comp tool:

Comp Audio Track Instead of Lanes

I would like show you how use macros to Comp a track instead of using the comp tool and lanes. I normally record using lanes first the move to an individual comp track using macros.

Before you start, check your preferences. This will allow you to listen to other tracks while you are compiling the comp track. I like to put the backing tracks in the upper or lower divided section of the mix window.

Preferences:
Editing - Use Up/Down Navigation to Select Tracks Only (Check)
Editing
Project & MixConsole uncheck
Enable Record on Selected Audio Track (Uncheck)
Enable Solo on Selected Track (Uncheck)

1. Record in lanes.
  2. Using the “Create Tracks From Lanes” move lanes to tracks.
  3. Duplicate them and put them in a folder for safe keeping.
  4. Now is a good time to backup your project in another folder.
  5. Create a “Comp” track at the above the new tracks. (See Screen Print)
  6. Divide the Track List so that the tracks you are going to comp are in a separate section.
  7. Color each track a different color. (Optional)
  8. Using Split at Cursor command to divide up your tracks in a logical way.
  9. Solo the first track and select the first event.
  10. Using the Locators-to-Select-Cursor macro, loop the event selection.
  11. Use Play-Up macro or Play-Down macro to audition the event.
  12. Use the Navigate-Up-10-Move macro to move the event to the comp track above.
  13. Use the Navigate-Down-10 macro to move to the bottom event.
  14. Repeat 9 - 13 steps.
  15. Edit Comp track as normal and bounce.

Here are the Commands and Macros I use to do this:

Commands:
Locators to Selection
Zoom to Locators

Macros:

Play-Down
Edit - Mute
Navigate - Down
Edit - Solo
Edit - Select Events Under Cursor

Play-Up
Edit - Mute
Navigate - Up
Edit - Solo
Edit - Select Events Under Cursor

Navigate-Up-10-Move
Project - Select Track: Prev
Edit - Move to Selected Track

Navigate-Down-10
Project - Select Track: Next

Locators-to-Select-Cursor
Transport - Locators to Selection
Transport - Go to Left Locator
Edit - Select Events under Cursor

Hope you find this helpful. Of course, you will want to assign these commands and macros to the keys of your choice that makes good workflow for you. Of course, this will work for more tracks but just adding commands to the macro. The numbers do not have to match as it works for up to 10 tracks at a time.

2 Likes

Hi @garymusic ,

Thank you so much for posting this.

Can you educate me when/why you would choose the “comp without lanes” method, over the more conventional alternative?

Thank you again!

It is just a workflow thing. I sort of like the way you work in Pro Tools when you comp a vocal. This sort of does the same thing. You have a top playlist/track and you promote to the top playlist/track. I don’t totally dislike lanes feature in Cubase but I like to move the sections to another track. The great thing about Cubase is with macros you can do either way. Hope this helps.

Thanks much @garymusic !

Actually I use streamdecks a lot and use generic and Mackie on them with no problems…