Title appearing on subsequent pages

How do I get the title to appear at the head of page 2 and subsequent pages?

Does your default master page include a header text frame? If so, you can include that information in it and it will appear in all pages after page 1. If not, you must have either changed Dorico’s default document or perhaps you have page overrides.

The Default Full Score master page set shows the layout name at the top of page 2 onwards by default. The Default Part master page set shows the flow title at the top of page 2 onwards. You can edit either/both as required by double-clicking the relevant master page in the panel on the right in Engrave mode.

The master page has the header text frame and it has the header text token on both pages. But the title only appears in my project on 2nd and third pages and that’s because I manually added the header text token for those pages. On the subsequent pages it still has just the flow title token. Should I be deleting those and manually adding the header text token? It doesn’t seem like the correct thing to do.

Can you share a zip file of the project here? It’ll be a lot easier to see what’s going on.

Sure. Here it is
5-6 & 7-6 sequences with modulations.dorico.zip (482 KB)

Smashing, that’s great - and just as well, I don’t know how many guesses it would have taken me otherwise to get to the answer!

Which is: the default master page header has a token that refers to {@flowtitle@}, that is, the title of whichever flow is on that page/below the header. In File>Project Info, you’ve added information for the “Project” as a whole, but Flow 1’s fields are empty, so the token has nothing to refer to. You can copy info from the project to the first flow in the Project Info dialog, or just change the token in the Default master page to refer to the {@projecttitle@}. It depends on what feels easiest for you, and/or whether you’re going to add extra flows to the project, in which case keeping the flow title token would probably be more helpful.

Additional tips: all your edits to the first page are a page override, that is, they only exist on that page. I would recommend doing these sorts of changes in the master page (either editing one of the defaults or creating your own custom one) so that your edits are “saved” somewhere. If you needed to remove overrides to fix a layout problem or because you edited the underlying master page for some reason, you’d lose all those changes if they’re only a page override.

Similarly, the best way to hide flow headings that appear at the top of the flow by default (the dashed green text frame that was originally at the very top of the music frame on the first page) is to hide them in Layout Options rather than delete them manually. It looks like you did this at some point (as it disappears when I remove overrides), but I suspect your page was already overridden by that point, so the Layout Option didn’t appear to take effect.

I’m just looking at this again trying to understand it. You say “the default master page header has a token that refers to {@flowtitle@}, that is, the title of whichever flow is on that page/below the header.”

But if I look at the Master Page, (by double clicking on where it says “First” I get what appears in the attached screen shot - i.e. {@projectTitle@). This seem to contradict what you said. Can you clarify this please. Sorry to be obtuse, I’m sure that it’s simple once I get it.

I possibly could have been clearer using better capitalisation. Dorico provides 2 master pages in each set: First, and Default. First is used for first pages. Default is used for subsequent pages.

The First master page has a big {@projectitle@} token at the top of the page. The Default master page has a smaller {@flowtitle@} token in a text frame that functions as a header. This is so that the Default master page always shows the nearest flow throughout the layout, as there may be multiple flows e.g. “I. Allegro”, but the first page shows the project title for the work as a whole e.g. “Symphony No.1”.

Ok that’s clearer now, thanks very much