Today I bid you farewell Cubase

There’s nothing like “Render in Place” as part of “Archive Project” is there?
You’d have to do it as a separate operation before archiving.

Just a function to Freeze all freezable tracks would be good too.

And ability to queue multiple projects for export?

Lots of scope for real-world workflow improvements that only Steinberg could add, and would save pro/serious users hours, easily justifying the upgrade fee.

But in their wisdom, the Product Managers seem to mostly prefer supposedly marketable new features like loopmashing and … new softsynths, as if third parties don’t already have that covered.

1 Like

Freezing is primarily done to save CPU or reduce latency within a project, it’s not ideal for archiving, as your projects are still reliant on those plugins as part of your project. Exporting to audio is by far the most reliable failsafe to archive as a backup to your projects, as the data saved is OS and DAW agnostic.

I think the possibility for errors is quite large, there’s no telling what plugins have loaded their content in time for the exporting to occur, or what errors may occur as each project gets loaded for exporting.

I’ve got projects with many Kontakt instruments which give me warnings on start-up, and they load from an older/slower HDD. I’d rather verify each project before leaving it in the hands of an automated script which is prone to external errors. (Personally)

If it’s genuinely something you’d make use of, then put in a feature request and see if others support it. But for me, verifying archives is as important as saving them. Same as backups, you don’t know how efficient your methods are if you don’t test restores frequently.

The export and queue system added to C11 is providing us some great options, it’s helped me no end to quickly fire out archives when I make changes to a project. In this instance, I can’t take a negative view of the management, personally.

Do you not appreciate/like the new tools?

2 Likes

Thanks for your interesting points.

1. Freezing on Project Archive

I’ve done collaborations where I send the whole Cubase Project to someone, to work on one part eg. vocals, and then they send it back.

In that case it would be very nice to freeze all freezable channels before I send, so they can hear what I’m hearing, without needing my 3rd party virtual instruments for example, and then I will unfreeze, when I get it back.

Doing lot’s of mixdowns/bounces is more time-consuming,

I’m thinking of features that Steinberg could add to support Cubase to Cubase portability. Not to other DAWs, or some kind of platform agnostic format (with no way back), which I understand is useful in other situations.

1. Good point about warnings when opening projects queued for export. I wrote a macro to do this, and it includes some Escape key clicks to dismiss the warnings. Obviously, I make sure when I save the project and queue it that none of these warnings is an issue. In fact that’s another feature request: Cubase constantly warning me about old midi ports now missing. There should be a button to say “forget about this midi port forever. stop warning me about it.”

2. I was super excited about multiple-channel export. Because I’ve been using macros to implement this ability for year. I use it a lot. I want more things like that. eg. ability to save preset multiple-channel export configurations; multi-project render queue - like Adobe After Effects; and multiple-channel freeze function. Freezing channels one at a time is such a drag.

I’m not negative about management people, I am negative about their prioritisation of new softsynths over deep productivity for supposed marketing reasons.

This would have to be the most rediculous post I’ve ever read on a forum… really… leaving a world class DAW platform because projects from 1987 won’t open…

5 Likes

A couple of years ago I decided to set up my old Atari ST and Pro 24. I transferred all my work from the 1980s to early 1990s to Cubase over midi. It took a few weeks doing it in bits, whenever I had the time but it worked really well. I’m sure if you look on ebay you’ll be able to find an ST. Presumably you still have your Pro 24 disc. If not check the web. Bet you’ll find a copy. If you don’t have the dongle, try a cracked copy. Pro 24 hasn’t been manufactured for years so I don’t imagine Steinberg would be too worried about that. I’m just saying that there are usually ways to overcome problems like yours. Good luck.

Anyway don’t leave it like that!
Leave it because of its bugs and crashes though
Than You get the respect here :grin:

regards Alexander