Toggling chord and tuplet input

Quite often, when I input a tuplet, I forget to turn off tuplet mode; and quite often, when I input a chord, I forget to turn off chord mode (q). For me at least, it’s easier to activate them every time I want to enter a triplet or chord, than to remember to turn them off.

At some point, in the preferences, could the team please consider making these behaviors configurable? Maybe you’ve already discussed it. I think of it kind of like polarity in a video game controller, or scrolling on a trackpad. Some people are used to doing it one way, some people the other way.

Thanks for considering!

We have indeed certainly discussed this. We don’t have any plans to change this at the moment, but I wouldn’t rule it out.

I was entering a piece (BWV 104) the other day that has a lot of quarter note triplets alternating with other things (quarter notes, dotted quarter notes, etc.) I felt like it took a lot longer than it should have have. E.g., to enter a measure of triplets, I needed to hit “5” to chose 8th notes, then a few more keys to choose “triplet mode”. Then enter a few notes. Then, to go back to quarter notes, I needed a couple keystrokes to exit triplet mode and then “6” to choose quarter notes. Very easy to miss one key and create a mess, which I did repeatedly.

It would have been really convenient to have a single command (that could be mapped to a single key) that just set the note duration to “1/3 of a quarter note”. No modes, just a change of duration. I could have mapped it to, say, “1” (which I don’t think I’ve ever used) and things would have been much quicker and less error prone: I could have hit “1”, entered a series of notes that would notate as triplets, hit “6” to enter quarter notes, etc.