Too Many Midi Ins Displayed

I have a question about the Midi Ins pulldown menu on each track. This is the pulldown that you choose which VST you want to assign to that track…

I am using Vienna Ensemble to create a big default setup and each instance of this VST has 24 Midi Ins that get listed here. I am using 4 instances of Vienna Ensemble so there are a ton of Midi Ins listed now.

Then, if I add another VST, let’s say Omnisphere, it get’s listed at the bottom of this list and it takes forever to scroll down the list that pops up to select Omnisphere…

Is this how it works or am I missing something really simple?

This has never been an issue when using a bunch of VSTs, but Vienna Ensemble is the only one that I’ve see where each Midi In is listed. So, for my big string setup for example, I have 24 tracks set up in the arrange window. Each of these tracks is set to “All MIDI Inputs” and the Output pulldown is set to: " 1 - Vienna Ensemble - MIDI In 1 " Then, MIDI In 2, MIDI In 3, etc…

Normally, like in Omnisphere, you set each of the 8 tracks in the arrange window to “Omnisphere VST” and the midi channel is set to 1-8. Clean, simple…

Anyone? Thanks!!

On the old forum, I had petitioned SB to do something about this behavior; should probably start a new thread here.

What you can do, is lessen the amount of MIDI ports in the Vienna Ensemble prefs. This, assuming, you arent in need of all of them.

Cheers.

Thanks…So I’m not the only one…I do need all the midi ports…

There could be a very simple fix by putting them in folders if they are the same VST instance…

The only workaround I can think of is when adding a new VST, have Cubase automatically add a track. This track is assigned correctly. Then, if I want more tracks with the same instrument, I just duplicate this track so it is assigned correctly, then just change the midi channel. It’s a pain, but works and beats scrolling down for 30 seconds to the bottom…