Touch Automation in Cubase

Hello all (Please UPVOTE this if you agree),

TLDR:
PLLEEEAASEEEEEE :pleading_face: :pleading_face: :pleading_face: can you make this a feature that can be enabled/disabled? It just seems really silly and counter-intuitive to FIRST have to find the automaton I would like to write, create an end value, BEFORE I can even think of writing the automation in touch mode. This work-around seems to honestly defeat the whole purpose of touch automation in my opinion. So pleeasseeee I am pleading… make it a feature that can be enabled/disabled if you don’t want to make it a global thing for your software for whatever reason you have.

Yes, I am aware that this is a topic that has been beaten to death. I even went as far back as to read up on why the touch mode behaves the way it does in Cubase. I’ve only ever used Cubase as my main DAW so for the many years I have been trying to do touch automation, I felt it was broken because the parameter I was automating would never automatically return to the initial value. I cycled through the various modes and was never able to achieve this. I thought to myself, perhaps I don’t understand how automation works. Ever since then I have to manually draw in the automation to return to its previous value. This has been for years now.

Sometime ago, I decided to try Logic Pro for a while after I was convinced to by my brother. To my surprise, when I automated something for the first time, it automatically returned to its initial value after I let the fader go. I was so shocked that I started researching the different automation modes. To my surprise again, it is touch mode that gives you this behavior. So why in the world was this not working in Cubase I thought to myself…

I also tried Studio One 5, and Pro Tools, and ALL of them seem to behave as expected when in touch mode and writing automation…

It was only not too long ago that I finally looked this up in the forums here and found that many users have been reporting the same experience. It would seem Cubase doesn’t want to implement this feature for various reasons.

So can I just plead… PLLEEEAASEEEEEE :pleading_face: :pleading_face: :pleading_face: that you make this a feature that can be enabled/disabled? It just seems really silly and counter-intuitive to FIRST have to find the automaton I would like to write, create an end value, BEFORE I can even think of writing the automation in touch mode. This work-around seems to honestly defeat the whole purpose of touch automation in my opinion. So pleeasseeee I am pleading… make it a feature that can be enabled/disabled if you don’t want to make it a global thing for your software for whatever reason you have.

Thank you.

4 Likes

PLEASE STEINBERG, make the TOUCH automation in Cubase to work as it should!
I use Nuendo 12 and Cubase 13.
In Nuendo it works as it should! Why not on Cubase?
Why to have in Cubase to draw an end point to be able to use the Touch automation with normal behavior, in every parameter I have to automate? (volume, sends, plugins etc)
Please make it happen!

Hi,

This is how the Nuendo/Cubase diff is specified.

Is this not just a matter of not having virgin territory enabled?

Hi,

No, it’s not. It really behaves different in Cubase and Nuendo.

1 Like

Yes but what’s the point to behave different?
We have 2 great daw with the same audio engine, mixing consoles etc.

Hi,

Because the use cases and the needs of the composers and the sound engineers are different.

How are they different?

1 Like

Hi,

With music, I’m working more in sense of crescendo/decrescendo. So I expect my last volume value remains and continue with the music.

As sound engineer, I work more locally. I have to tweak the local volume (balance the different sounds), they are not related.

You mean you release the fader and it remains at that last value? That’s what “Fill” “To end” is for. Or did I misunderstand?

Is there a video that shows what is wrong with the behavior?

(PS: I feel like I’ve been told this before but forgot - sorry if that’s the case)

Hi,

Yes, in Nuendo. But Cubase behaves this way by default.

…how about you just make a poll and see what your user base actually wants instead of coming up with a philosophical reason as to why Touch should behave differently in Cubase?

Every single other DAW that I know of and have tried, returns the value to the original after you let go of what is being touched. Cubase behaves as latch by default…

1 Like

I remember many many years ago there was a lot of discussion around this issue and one of the problems with returning back to the original value was fall back speed/rates. If the next value set was some distance off or if it was near or far or just an abrupt rise or fall. I think it ended up with the way it works today.
IMHO.
Maybe it’s time to revisit it as DAW use has evolved since then…however the fall back rate might need to be considered again.
Regards to all.