Touch Screens

I’m not a big fan of touch screens. If RSI is a genuine concern just from using a mouse, then all of that tapping on an UNYIELDING piece of glass can not possibly be good for your bones. Nevertheless, as these things are everywhere now, one must find a way to adapt.

However, I have noticed that all touch screens are NOT created equal! Unless my phone freezes up, anytime I touch the surface to send instructions, it responds the very first time. But, and this is an increasing source of frustration, I have to touch my MC control repeatedly (often more than 4 taps) to engage a particular control. That’s if I can actually get the control in question at all. Lots of times, I’ll select the SOFT KEYS tab and end up activating one of the 2 tracks closest to it instead. Other times, repeated tapping on the UP/DN Scroll buttons gets no response at all! All of this EXTRA TAPPING only increases the pain in my fingers after an 6 - 8 hour session! So, this is no small issue for which to find a better solution!

I finally figured out that part of the problem was that my hands were too dry for the sensors to respond.So, I’m using more lotion. But who wants to have to constantly “grease up” just to work on a mix? My other option is to use a small pencil eraser. It works precisely and far more efficiently (98% response). But now you’re constantly having to pick it up just to activate the controls.

Anyone here have any tips for consistently efficient navigating strategies using touch screens? Is it any better on Tango, MC Pro, id of Nuage? :question:

Hello,
You know, we used to have to “grease up” for a mix but not with lotion! Things have changed a bit…

Our desks are touch screens and many folks use the pencil eraser. Just be sure you use a soft one, the traditional pink ones are highly abrasive and will leave marks on the screen after repetitive use. From experience unfortunately…

H

Hugh, are you using touch screens to work with Nuendo?

:smiley: I never tried that solution, but I will give it a shot.
I’m having the same problem with the MC control. What works for me is to aim a little lower than the center of the SOFT KEYS tab. That also counts for any other tab at the touch screen.

Hope others have better solutions.

Best, Alan

I’m looking for an alternative to using ANY kind of “stylus,” if I can help it. You don’t find the eraser cumbersome? :confused:

Hello kp,

Yes, any stylus is cumbersome. On a desk of course most of the work is done on the knobs and faders so an occasional stylus use, or a lot of use during setup, is workable but not friendly. I can’t mix with a stylus.

Hugh

There are huge differences in the quality of touchscreen.
And by far the worst ever is the one bulit in the MC-Control.

I use a 27" Acer touchscreen for plugin and channel control and I love it.
Unfortunately my fingers are not equipped with a mousewheel…

Anyone here have any tips for consistently efficient navigating strategies using touch screens? Is it any better on Tango, MC Pro, id of Nuage? :question:[/quote]

The touch screen on the Tango’s are great, never missed a touch in the 6 years I’ve had them, I also have an MC Control and I can relate with your frustration. the touch screen on my MC does not work anymore since i put my fist through it :imp: (and I’m not even hot tempered) I guess it all depends what your looking to do with a controller, are you mixing all day? or just setting levels during editing.
years ago when I was still using PT I was using a touch screen to adjust plug-ins and other controls, I have ELO and TTX but the TTX is by far a better interface, more sensitive.

The touch screen on the Tango’s are great, never missed a touch in the 6 years I’ve had them, I also have an MC Control and I can relate with your frustration. the touch screen on my MC does not work anymore since i put my fist through it > :imp: > (and I’m not even hot tempered)

OMG, that’s hilarious!!! :laughing: I sooo get that! Regarding the Tango, there’s a lot of frustration over at their forum regarding product support and Nuendo updates. Are you finding that to be problematic as well?

Mixing music. I’m a composer. So I’m writing and arranging as well as tracking and mixing in Nuendo. The MC Control is supposed to help make that process faster, more efficient and almost invisible. It has proven to be anything but. :angry: Besides the reliability issues, it took an almost from the ground up re-programming to get it work for me at all. But now that I’ve finally got it pretty much where I need it (as long as it will actually start when I start working on a project), my biggest headache is the 8 encoders and that almost useless touch screen!

I actually got desperate enough to consider a C-24 (BECAUSE IT DIDN’T HAVE A TOUCH SCREEN) hoping that they might have updated it to Eucon/HUI Protocols. But I struck out there. I keep looking at the SSL Nucleus, but I just can’t seem to get excited. All the tutorials and demos looks like a "maze of menus and sub-menus. What I need is a controller that will get me as close as possible to a DESK EXPERIENCE. I really liked what I saw with Tango. But the forum has me scared to death that I’d be “jumping out of the frying pan into the fire!”

I am very happy with my Tango which I have had for a few years now. The touch screen works very well if it is kept clean.

With regard to the forum, it is quiet there but maybe that’s because nothing much goes wrong.

I believe there is an update in beta test at the moment.

If I have a problem I just contact Niko directly and always get an answer.

Maybe you should ask him about his view of the forum - it takes two to tango. :slight_smile: