Touchscreen Cubase controller for Cubase 7 PLEEZ

I would be willing to bet that for every one of you that wants knobs and cadets there are 3 that are sick of the clutter and want a single, simple multi-use screen that is configurable to the needs of the appliction and customer in a way that dedicated hardware could never be.

After all, that’s the point of moving from a console and tape to a DAW and from hardware effects and synths to VST and VSTi. All I’m suggesting is the obvious extension of that same paradigm to touch.

so what about the industry standard synth makers ,do you think they with just give up ,pack up shop and buy a touchscreen ?uummmmm im pretty sure the hardware devices will be keeping up with the future and will be well integrated ,take note expression i know roland and korg are well on their way to producing there first hardware synths for this ,so my point being is hardware become obsolete ?

i do get you point lights and it is a good point but in the end its like everything else its going to be down to personal preference and im sure there are +and- for both sides but GIVE ME KNOBS AND BUTTONS !!! :laughing:

give it 10 years and everything will be voice controlled anyway or hologram interactive so you’ll never keep up with the future !

Ipad2 + Android Tablet software like Cubase iC but with advanced features would be great. Otherwise I´m happy with my CC121

I often people saying touchscreens and tablets are absolute way of the future for all computing. I’d like to challenge this notion. Sure they have their huge benefits - for mobile devices. For mobile devices a touchscreen means no keyboard or mouse is required, it’s compact and simple. However, I’d like to suggest that touchscreens and tablets will never fully replace the usual common input devices for the future of computing. Here are some major reasons why they won’t for each technology:

Touchscreens:

1. They offer very limited range of input. Where a mouse can have several buttons each assigned to execute a different instruction set a touchscreen is much more limited to single presses, multitaps, and press and hold style input. One of the reasons certain types of Flash such on a smartphone is because you don’t have mouse functionality, like you can’t “hover” for example and click and drag. Sure there can be some tap based workarounds but it will never match the input capability of traditional input devices

2. They get really dirty. Don’t know about you guys, but I do not enjoy looking at a screen covered in finger print smudges. Even anti-fingerprint coatings don’t do a good enough job to rectify the issue. Maybe future technologies will however.

3. You have to reach out to touch them. This is why I said they are perfect for mobile devices, but I certainly do not want to be reaching out to my monitor on my desk. And I don’t want my 21.5" monitors all up in my face like I’m blind, so they can’t be too close. On a desktop level, even though there are already touchscreen base desktop computers, I don’t think they would be as accepted. It’s not convenient for a large screen to be close enough to touch or to have to keep reaching out to touch it.

4. Typing on touchscreens sucks. This is my opinion of course, but after 2 years with an iPhone 3G I was ecstatic to switch to a Droid 2 with a physical keyboard. There’s also a lack of tactile feedback for a touchscreen currently outside of the haptic feedback which most find annoying.

5. Things that you are not currently bracing tend to move often when touched. Would suck to have to reposition my screen everytime I press it too hard

6. If the screen breaks the cost is more expensive to fix and takes the whole machine out of service. Of course the prices would go down in the future, but it’s nice to be able to replace just the one accessory.

I could probably keep going but that is a good amount for the touchscreen aspect.

Now onto tablets:

1. Tablets are good for mobile but not so much for desktop use due to the small size. I don’t know about you guys, but I’m currently using two 21.5" 1920x1080 monitors side by side. There is no way whatsoever I could write all my songs in Cubase using the iPads screen size.

2. Tablets are generally held with one hand and operated with the other. When working in Cubase I often input with both hands. Sure, I guess someone can design a sturdy stand for desktop use, but then what’s the point… why not just get a desktop? Please don’t say “put in on your laptop”, I could never work that way.

3. All the points I made about touchscreens above

4. Tablets still have far to come before they match the power of a desktop. Yes, future tablets likely would have that power, but as of now it’s still quite a ways off for a tablet to match a Quadcore hyperthreaded Intel Core i7 with 6gb’s or more of memory, terrabytes of storage space, transfer speeds, etc.

All in all I personally disagree that just because these items are popular means they will replace current desktop computing. They are popular because they are in their niche and they augment current computing.

Rev.

I moved away from tape to get away from painful editing, punching in and punching out, wait times for fast forwarding and rewinding, to achieve higher quality, etc.

I moved away from hardware synths over to VSTi’s to get away from multiple audio connections and cables, having to record the audio coming from the synths, having to tweak each ones mixer channel to record at optimal levels, having to turn on several synths to play a project, running out of power outlets, spending more money on electricity running all those synths, small display screen, archaic parameters and naming schemes, painful patch editing at times, hell I can keep on going and going.

Not one of the reasons was because I found control knobs to be cluttering. As a matter of fact, I kept one hardware synth because I love the synth (Yamaha AN1X) and also because I use it as a controller and it has a good amount of knobs that I use to control the VSTi’s. Just sayin’

Rev.