Track Delay, how do i use it?

I recently measured the timing of the different synths i record in Cubase.

• My Analog Four (via Overbridge VSTi interface) is always 4ms ahead in time (comparing to a MIDI-note)

• My Moog Sub 37 has 11ms latency (USB) if i compare the audio to the midi note.

• My Modular (via Beatstep pro) is pretty much in sync with the Moog Sub37.

• The difference between my Roland TM-2 (via BeatStep Pro - USB) and Analog Four is a whole 25ms (A4 is too fast, while TM-2 has quite a bit of latency)

I tried changing the track delays, i tried extreme numbers. It doesnt do anything, exact same ms. So i guess my question is, is there a way to turn it on / off? I guess mine is turned off for some reason or i just dont understand this function at all. I changed the track delay on the recorded audio-tracks.

Thanks

Hi,

This is always switched On. Which track did you shifted?

There is no visual feedback of the shifting (to be able to Quantize to the grid for example, even after the Shift). Only the data stream is shifted.

You could use VST Connections > External Instrument, where you can also define the delay (you can even measure it here). Then you don’t have to shift every single track.

I tried Track Delay on 3 of the tracks, both large and small numbers. So no visual feedback, that would explain things, though i did use a fairly large number on 1 track and still couldnt hear the difference. I will have to test again and i will read up more on External Instruments, that sounds very handy. Thanks.

This always wrecked my head too.I have a few hardware synths i pretty much never bother with these days as they are never in time the way id like.

I even suggested steinberg do a quick tip vid on this under one of their recent quick tip vids uploaded to youtube.

i think as suggested the best way is to set up an external instrument and correct the delay within the external instrument dialog.

Yeah, it would be great to have the delay programmable for each midi instrument. In the midi manager say?

Also would be good to be able to visualise the track delay in the project view, e.g. with a button press on the track say.

Mike.

So whats the best way of calculating the delay?There is a ping thats sent out through external fx if they have midi control but there isnt one for external instruments.Is it just a case of adjusting it til it sounds right?

Record it to audio and compare start of the trigger and start of the waveform.

I was having a mess with this earlier.Whats interesting is even with the same delay setting on the external instrument,the audio file never lands in the same place twice.Sometimes its ahead and sometimes behind.I tested this by sending out a midi note to an external synth then recorded the same 2 sec note a few times,on different audio tracks so i could compare.They were never the same.Is this a bug?It pretty much makes external instruments unusable if they are monitored through cubase.Anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

Whats interesting is even with the same delay setting on the external instrument,the audio file never lands in the same place twice.Sometimes its ahead and sometimes behind.I tested this by sending out a midi note to an external synth then recorded the same 2 sec note a few times,on different audio tracks so i could compare.

Try an audio loopback test rather than midi. If that produces the same timing result over multiple passes( though sometimes can be a few samples out, nothing to worry about) then you’ll have discounted audio timing and can start investigating the reason for your midi timing issues.

I use track delay all the time. I put negative values for every track i.e -20 if the latency is 20 milliseconds. Works for me.

I’m really frustrated with the delay in the midi play back. I’m wondering about all the different workarounds. I delay compensation I have never quite used it. Can I have a basic and easy one. Any thoughts?

Hi,

Could you describe your observation, please? Your connection, used devices/VSTis, etc.

I’m having the same problems as (by nucube » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:31 pm) 4 posts up.

Cubase Elements 8.5
RME Babyface Pro
Korg Electribe EMX1

MIDI track with a note playing in the sequencer triggering a sound in the EMX1.
MIDI Out of the Babyface Pro into the MIDI In of the EMX1 on MIDI Channel 10.
Stereo 1/4 jacks out of the EMX1 into the Audio 3 & 4 of the Babyface Pro.
Into a Stereo track in Cubase Elements 8.5

The Audio doesn’t seem to line up with the MIDI.

When I adjust the delay and get it spot on then record it again at that same setting to where it was lining up previously, the audio fails to line up.

How do we compensate for the MIDI and Audio not lining up and the Audio being out of sync with the rest of the project which also has internal instrument tracks loaded with VSTi’s running alongside the recorded external synth recorded audio.

Someone mentioned something about setting up an External Instrument in the Devices> VST Instruments section of the Cubase Menu. There seems to be a button that you press in the little window that appears after setting up the External Instrument as an Internal Instrument track in the Devices > VST Instruments Menu that generates a pulse and Cubase then calculates this delay and compensates for this automatically on that External Instrument track.
Can anyone please elaborate on this or give us a step by step guide or how to.
Thanks in advance. G

Hi,

This External Instrument feature is Cubase Pro only. It’s not in Cubase Elements.

Thank you Martin. As soon as I can save up enough I will upgrade.
Kind regards,
Gareth

Btw, you can try yourself with Cubase Pro Trial for 30 days. You need just a USB-eLicenser.

Hi Martin

Thank you again.
I’m stuck…I can’t hear my Click for some reason. Any chance you can help?
Kind regards,

Gareth

Never mind. I checked on You Tube and if you go to VST Connections and check out the Click column to the right of your Outputs page, click in there opposite your 1/2 outputs or 3/4 and the word ‘‘click’’ will appear and it will work.
All good.