Track: You're My Natural Cocaine

Here’s an original track of mine, recorded and mixed and mastered using Cubase, though also an Ozone 4 plugin. I’ve improved a lot of my recording and mixing technique with this track, but also with this track, other things have become apparent for me to improve upon.

https://youtu.be/Z8KVkBxurRA

Great live feel, you should really give us some more tracks! I liked the guitar sound; hope you can tell us how you generated that – was it a mic’d amp? From a compositional viewpoint, you could try to highlight the theme/melody to make it your own, I mean, to make it a song that stands out as an original idea. Just my two cents.

Glad you liked it.

The guitar sound is a strat going into a JMP-1 preamp, into a Strategy 500 power amp, with some OD and boost. The mics I used are an e906, md421, and 414 XLS. I quad-tracked the rhythm guitar parts, 2 takes per stereo side. In the solo section, and at the end of choruses, there are some additional guitar layers.

I also did multiple mixing down of the stereo rhythm guitar after EQing and effectively mastering it, with earlier versions of the stereo rhythm guitar. And then I started to mix 3 or more multiple different EQings of that stereo rhythm guitar track, and played around it different mixes between the takes to make a more final mix, which I then did mastering on along with the rest of the track parts to make the final track.

From a compositional viewpoint, you could try to highlight the theme/melody to make it your own, I mean, to make it a song that stands out as an original idea.

Would you elaborate on what that means?

Hi Delicieuxz, what I mean is, as it is, it’s just a set of chords. To make it a song, it needs at least a main melody, maybe followed by a chorus with its own melody. To give it a structure that makes it a song. Maybe you have in mind a vocal track.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I do intend to put lyrics to it. Thanks for the advice!