Track: You're My Natural Cocaine

Here’s an original track of mine, recorded and mixed and mastered using Cubase, though also an Ozone 4 plugin. I’ve improved a lot of my recording and mixing technique with this track, but also with this track, other things have become apparent for me to improve upon.

Great live feel, you should really give us some more tracks! I liked the guitar sound; hope you can tell us how you generated that – was it a mic’d amp? From a compositional viewpoint, you could try to highlight the theme/melody to make it your own, I mean, to make it a song that stands out as an original idea. Just my two cents.

Glad you liked it.

The guitar sound is a strat going into a JMP-1 preamp, into a Strategy 500 power amp, with some OD and boost. The mics I used are an e906, md421, and 414 XLS. I quad-tracked the rhythm guitar parts, 2 takes per stereo side. In the solo section, and at the end of choruses, there are some additional guitar layers.

I also did multiple mixing down of the stereo rhythm guitar after EQing and effectively mastering it, with earlier versions of the stereo rhythm guitar. And then I started to mix 3 or more multiple different EQings of that stereo rhythm guitar track, and played around it different mixes between the takes to make a more final mix, which I then did mastering on along with the rest of the track parts to make the final track.

From a compositional viewpoint, you could try to highlight the theme/melody to make it your own, I mean, to make it a song that stands out as an original idea.

Would you elaborate on what that means?

Hi Delicieuxz, what I mean is, as it is, it’s just a set of chords. To make it a song, it needs at least a main melody, maybe followed by a chorus with its own melody. To give it a structure that makes it a song. Maybe you have in mind a vocal track.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I do intend to put lyrics to it. Thanks for the advice!