Traditional lyric beaming possible?

Is there a way to get traditional lyric beaming, so a single beam flag for every syllable, beamed notes for a melisma etc? I know this can be changed in the context menu, but it would be nice if this could be done automatically.

No, at present there is no automatic support for this.

As a singer, I have to say that lyric beaming is as nice a musical tradition as Novello crotchet rests, tuberculosis, and corporal punishment for choristers.

Well said, Ben. As a singer myself, I feel precisely the same way. But I feel the same way about many notational conventions that Dorico nevertheless needs somehow to make possible…

I feel you are trying to say something… :slight_smile:

Actually, I agree with you Ben, I never use it in my own vocal compositions, but sometimes I get compositions from others who like to have the traditional beaming.

Talk them out of it.

In Dorico 2.2.10, I cannot find the automatic beaming according to lyric.
Is there no plan to implement it?
I think lots of the users moved from Finale would try to find this feature in Dorico.

There is no automatic beaming according to lyrics, as Daniel stated in the second post of this thread.

Posts 3 and 4 indicate (to me, at least) that there’s no plan to implement it, as it’s an outdated practice that can already be achieved manually.

I cringe every time I see lyric beaming. So confusing to read…

I understand it.

It was just a question to re-confirm it because the last post before my first post in the thread was written two years ago.

Hm. I see this tendency in most of popular song sheet music printed in South Korea and am slightly irritated whenever seeing the score not following this tradition.

This is still taught in Universities, and most of the contemporary composers outside of popular music respect this tradition. Of course, the percentage of those composers are much less than popular music composers.

If it is trendy, I should be changed…

This is what Gould has to say on the matter:

2 Likes

Isn’t there a mistake in the traditional beaming (“rising”)? :grinning:

1 Like

There is indeed!

Thanks! I now can accept the instrumental beaming on vocal parts.
Honestly, I also do not like this tradition. :wink:

This could be the intention of the author to show how unnecessarily complicate this tradition is…

hmm, I find the contemporary beaming looking complicated and more difficult to read - if I was a singer.
If I would double the singer on an instrument, I would go easy with the contemporary beaming.
It must be the case when one is used to follow the words first and the overlaying musical context secondly.
It depends wether one thinks of a song as a melody with overlayed text - or as words with overlayed melody…

Maybe it doesn’t matter, since singers can’t sight-read rhythms anyways. :wink:

And I’m a choral conductor, so I know…

2 Likes

@k_b

[slightly off-topic]
I read you live in Germany in another thread today.
How is Gould’s book referred in Germany?
I know there is a German translation published by Edition Peters.
I had studied in Germany before the book was published. I would like to know the reception at a German university and German publishers. (I feel Gould’s book is regarded as a standard guide in Dorico user forum and Finale user forum.)

prko,
I can only tell that the German translation of Goulds book was more expensive at that time. And as I anyway prefer an original edition, I ordered the English version. Having said that, it seemed even cheaper to get this edition from overseas - so I ordered from the US…

I think prko is asking whether Gould’s book is regarded as authoritative in Germany.

Dear Dan,
As a professional singer, I can tell you we are more and more with sight reading abilities. And I confess I like the old traditional way of engraving, especially when I have little time to study and need to sight-read.
If I have time, I do not care about how the beaming is. Most of the music I engrave is with the old tradition though, which is why I would have liked an automated option to it.