Transitioning Mac -> Windows experience

RE: Exporting stems…

Other than exporting individual tracks, or selecting particular tracks for an export, there is a stems option? Please say there is. :slight_smile:

Ah sorry, I was a bit loose with the word ‘stems’ there - I did mean export of individual players.

Don’t undertand the word stems here, but you can import or export multiple tracks, using teh Import/export from project on the File menu. Try it, its very straightforward

To create stems means to export the tracks in 4-6 groups like say strings, horns, vocals, percussion, electronica. It allows a sound editor to pull bits of a cue up/down in certain spots so as to not interfere with what’s on screen… They want a few levers they can pull, but the editor isn’t interested in mixing a bunch of individual tracks. They are focused on telling a story.

Dorico can do that, but you have to take the time to export multiple times (selecting the parts you want in each stem.) and is a potential source of error. They won’t be amused if a part is missing etc.

I just made the switch as well. I’m happy with the performance, though the switch to ENGRAVE mode still takes far longer than I was hoping (large piece: full orchestra, 4 flows, 40 minutes of music).

My biggest complaint is the UI integration. It looks like I’m using Windows XP with the silly Windows menus at the top and extra line for “Dorico - Filename” indication at the top that’s glitched out and shows the name twice…

The filename thing is no glitch, it gives the name of the flow inside the project. They can have different names… :wink:

Cheers,
Benji

I understand what it’s intending to show, but if there’s only one flow, then why not only show the filename? Regardless, my point was more about the UI itself than the parsing of the name.

The UI is multi-platform (QT based if I remember right). You know there are a number of options under “Window” that can adjust what is shown/use of space.

Its actually new rather than old design thinking, as far as I’ve seen regarding UI trends. That being said, I get what you are saying initially. I confess to having spent more time playing with colors and themes in some other software than is probably good for me. But I have come to appreciate the Dorico UI’s practical efficiency, and I occasionally run it in a pretty small window. Drag the size and see how the UI adapts.

1 Like

Just switch to Fullscreen, and that top bar goes away.

Thanks for the reminder! Now it looks great, that top bar really detracted from the looks.

A tip I got from a Nuendo engineer (doing beta for them) - uninstall ASUS AI Suite if you have one of their boards! Highly unstable. I didn’t have it installed because I learned that lesson previously.

Also for VEP users be careful of the number of cores you allocate. I didn’t understand properly it was #cores/instance and set it to 28 = my total cores. But other than getting the RED interface to work my only other issue is that often when I try to sleep the computer it kind of hangs for about five or ten minutes trying to do it, then finally shuts down. It appears to be related to VEP, when it’s not running the computer sleeps fine. Invetigating with VSL’s help.

Found it! (Red interface). I had installed a Focusrite Clarett 8pre driver after the Red, and that installed a different TB driver. Last ditch attempt to fix was I reinstalled the Red software which detected an older Focusrite Thunderbolt driver (presumably from the Clarett) and updated it. Now it works! Interestingly it also is now upgrading the onboard firmware. of the Red, which I didn’t see under Mac.

Now what remains is to figure out why the computer can’t sleep with an audio interface running. I was going to blame it on Dorico but found it’s a problem with any of them annoyingly. It would be nice to be able to work and not futz with computers anymore! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I so totally agree with that last statement, sigh…