Translating expression map terms from EastWest to Dorico

Ok, dumb question. I just started using the EastWest Opus Gold sound library in Dorico 3.5. Most of the terms are easy to translate to the articulation in the long list in Dorico’s ‘Playing Technique Combinations’ popup list. For example, staccato is staccato (one to one), but some of the EastWest playing techniques are titled with terms like ‘Sustained MAX’. I’m not sure how to translate that to Dorico terminology in the long list of articulations for expression maps.

Also, this is a sidebar point I’m making here, but at the end of one of the flute phrases (measure 7, beginning of measure 8), I have not notated any changes to playing techniques, but Dorico automatically changed the technique to staccatissimo which is incorrect for the next note, which is still legato. So, for now, my work around, is to simply add ‘legato’ above the note, which should not be necessary.

Can someone point me to a guide for terminology used for playing techniques, specifically for the various terms that might mean the same thing but are interchangeable terms? I’m still new to orchestration and the myriads of playing techniques are a little overwhelming, especially with strings. However, my question is pertaining to playing techniques for flute.

the slur does not cover the second note after the tie in bar 7. Therefore, if note length automation is set in the Expression Map, it will switch articulation to something shorter like “staccatissimo” as in your example before reverting back to legato for the last note in the bar. If you want full control of every note, then it’s probably best not to use the automation.

However, in your example where “legato” is notated specifically, this is normally set in Dorico to be of the “direction” type which means that it applies until explicitly replaced with a new p.t. Using a slur is different as it only applies to the notes under the slur. So there’s a clear distinction to be made.

Exactly how it works depends on the EM and library, and someone using the EWQL Opus library might be able to give more context-specific advice than my general principles. But if you care to post the relevant Expression Map, it should also help to clarify what’s going on.

As far a guide - mostly you have to read (and sometimes search for) the intention or meaning behind EWQL samples and naming conventions in THEIR documentation under support on their portal. I found it overwhelming all at once, and that it is more about choosing which samples you want that use the Mod wheel a certain way, or how many dynamics layers you want etc,

I’m not saying that it doesn’t have have an impact on how you map things to Dorico, but it’s not like you want separate articulations for a sample with 3 dynamic layers versus 8 or whatever. Or preferring this vibrato to that vibrato under the circumstances.

Either I’m lazy or time constrained (your choice :slight_smile: ) but I have a general mapping based on channels so I can plug the “short” or whatever I want into that channel without changing the basic mapping for staccato etc… Then I tweak/automate the CC that a sample uses as needed. Anyway, my $0.02 cents.

So woodwinds don’t work like strings where, for example, if I say “arco”, it will be that until I say something else? Obviously I’m not referring to woodwinds for the arco expression, but rather legato.

I’m unclear as to why all of the notes would not be legato, given that the phrase crossing from measure 7 to 8 has a slur over it, and the next two notes are joined by a tie. In my book, none of those should be staccato.

It can be actually - I use the word “Marcato” sometimes for example. Dorico has both types of Playing Techniques - those that are momentary and those that say on until overridden by something else. But you have to have created a mapping for that.

in bar 7 there is a break in the slur after the tie which means there is a temporary reset to the default patch before the next slur starts. If you are using note length automation in the Expression Map, this can mean switching temporarily to a short articulation like staccatissimo. If you are not using the automation then it is likely a sustain will occur instead depending on how the default is defined and here you’d notice the problem less of course.

Because libraries often have some latency built into the legato patch, Dorico does not always pick up the new slur in time. This is very library dependent but happens frequently with ones like the BBC or CS which I use. You need to experimenting with nudging the note (or the slur if possible) to ensure the legato technique is read before the note. Specific advice on the best way to do this with EWQL you’re best getting from users of Opus like @gdball.