Transpose Track, recording parts, general useage questions.

Using Transpose Track

I’m just starting to explore Transpose Track and have some questions. Any comments or tips on its use are welcome.

1. Is there a best way to make a transposition permanent so, for example, the transposed part may be copied to other tracks? Merge Midi In Loop? Bounce?

2. You record Part A (keyboard), copy it, then use Transpose Track to move it up a 4th. When you record Part B, on a new track, while the first part follows the Transpose Track, in the new part I’d prefer to play through the transposition. So,what’s the best way to deal with this?

Great how we can just drag the length of transpositions out and easily insert new points. Just seeing the coolness of Transpose Track – a part of the program I could make better use of. I was doing a Brazilian Track when this came up. :wink:

Hi,

Do you mean to use the Transpose track live? I don’t think it’s possible.

I guess you would have to create a midi part on the new track before you record, so you can set it to Global Transpose: Independent. Is that what you mean?

Martin,

Here’s what I mean with a simple musical example.

1. Empty Project
  2. Instrument Tracks (E. Piano, Sax)
  3. Track 1, E. Piano: Create Piano Blues Progression using Transpose Track

Progression:100 bpm, 4/4/ – 4 Measures of F7, 4 Measures of Bb7 (Transposed), etc.

Using the Transpose Track, the E. Piano Part has been acceptably Transposed from F7 to Bb7.

Q. Now, to Add Parts. This is where I’m stuck on what’s best to do. Do I set the new track to “Independent” and then record the Sax melody? What happens to the notes played to fit with the Bb7 Chord. Would you just play the part as if it was in F and let Transpose Track put the notes up a Perfect Fourth?

Q. Is it possible to make a part that has been transposed be actually transposed and further edited and then run “independent” of the transpose track? If so, how?

Q. Can different Parts within one Track be set to Independently follow the Chord Track? Or is each track either “independent” or “following.”

Q. Not clear on relationship between Chord Track and Transpose Track.

I realize this is no doubt covered in documentation, but it really does help to talk about it to grasp the concept. Working on it.

Thanks for answering.

I think so, Steve. I’m just dipping my toe into this. It’s a new “room” for me and there’s some odd gizmos here. I like them, but a bit of a headscratcher. I’ll work with it more. I’m sure it will clear up with some more use of it all, once I figure out how the Foostasis goes with the Soviana in the Moonsign. Having a Brazil Moment. You know how that works. :slight_smile: :laughing:

:laughing:

OK,

So, after consulting the documentation and reviewing things. i get the basic ideas, however I’m seeing what might be a bug, perhaps an error in my Cubase – not sure. The Screen shot will help with this question.

Basic Steps:

1. Create Chord Track

Simple I-vi-ii-V progression, in D, (D, B Minor, F# Minor, A7). One Chord per Measure.

1. Create Instrument Track (HSSE E. Piano)
  2. Create Transpose Track with Transpositions that would result in the same progression. (0.-3, 2, 7)
  3. Set Root Key to D
  4. Drag D Major Chord to Instrument Track and Duplicate to Fill the Loop (same chord, all measures)
    5.1. Instrument Track, Inspector, Chords: Set to “Follow” Chords and Sales. Chords analyzed.

Essentially like Map to Chord Track. This seem to work reasonably well, a few odd inversions popped up, but I’d call the results successful and interesting. While “Map to Chord Track” works just as well, in theory, It would be great to be able to move a chord up and down some number of semi-tones, change the chord quality and have it all lock in. Not sure if my Cubase is working right, and/or not sure if Cubase can do that?

5.2 Instrument Track Empty, no chords. Chord Track set to the Instrument Track only.
Cubase was missing the transpositions and playing incorrect chords. If I put the cursor right before the chord and started playback there, then the correct chord was played. If I play it in a loop, it get the change wrong – rather than playing F#Minor, it Plays DMinor (see screen shot)

Anyways, I found some additional data in the OM. “'Show Transpositions” – didn’t know that was there.

Transpose sounds great on paper, but if Cubase won’t play the changes correctly, then I’m better off mapping from the chord track or playing/editing parts per normal. Transpose Track seems to do a very nice job on Audio Loops and Samples. The MIDI side is where I’m seeing some issues.

Thanks for the help with this.

Hi I have a question. I am using Cubase Elements.
I want to edit and listen to the various takes that I have recorded in one section. First, it started of ok. But when I went to listen to the second section. I could not hear anything on playback even though I see that is has been recorded. Now when I try to listen to the first section it is also disabled. Does anyone know why, grateful for all help.
Thanks

Hi and welcome,

If you want to listen to one take/lane only, you can Solo the lane.

Could you attach a screenshot? Make sure, you have any Audio event active (not muted).