Transposed timpani

I’m about to start work on an early classical choral/orchestral piece where the timpani part is transposed, analogous to brass and woodwind writing for transposing instruments.

The practice was fairly common at the time.

As far as I know, Dorico only caters for the timpani notes being written in concert pitch, ie sounding as written.

Does anybody have any clues as to an approach which will avoid the need to transpose the part up a note if accurate playback is required (and hopefully not forgetting to transpose it back down again to retain the original [“authentic”] visual aspect).

One method I could use is to have two timpani parts - a transposed one to show on the score and part, but excluded from playback, and the concert-pitch one hidden from the score and part, but included in playback.

The “easy” way, of course, is just to notate it as sounding and not be bothered too much about the appearance. All timpanists I have ever met have been quite capable of figuring out what notes to play.

Any suggestions are welcome and will be given due consideration.

You could use another transposing instrument and change the playback. Horn in D comes to mind.

You can also use cleff and transposition overrides to transpose the timpani in D, but remember to do it for all layouts.

I don’t understand, you just take the timpani and set the transposition and it’s done.

otherwise you write the score by taking another instrument and then you create a patch with transposition to the lower tone and with timpani sound.
You will need to have the cc and program changes for the timpani.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I have decided to use the clef and transposition overrides because that is the simplest approach and does not involve repurposing other instruments or making program changes. The fewer places there are for me to make a mistake, the better.