Transposing the Chord Track

I’m using Cubase 7.04 and trying to transpose the chord track through the info line drop-down menu and I cannot find any rhyme or reason to when it works and when it doesn’t. I’ve tried selecting some of the chords and that is inconsistent. I’ve selected all of the chords and that is inconsistent. I’ve made sure that I do not have the scales selected at the bottom of the track and that is inconsistent. One time I tried turning on audition chords and that worked once but that too is inconsistent. One time I deselected the first chord and that worked once, but this inconsistent. I’ve turned off auto scales and auto voicing and that is inconsistent too. Does anyone know how to transpose the chord track from the info line by changing the root key and have it work consistently?

Unfortunately it doesn’t work consistently now. It seems to me, and this is just speculation based on experience, that certain chord types prevent a range of chords from being transposed when they are included as part of the selected chords. I find that when the whole track can’t be transposed (sometimes it can), that selecting a group of chords and transposing the track in several passes will work. Sometimes you can even figure out which chord is causing the problem and select everything but that to transpose and then transpose the offending chord(s) separately.

A reproducible posting in the issues forum is probably warranted. This issue is not listed in the fixes being released tomorrow (6-27-13)

I was just writing a chart and looked at this.

Now, when selecting a group of chords you can transpose all of them together consistently. The interval to which you can transpose them is somehow constrained by conditions I could not decipher, the highest and lowest roots, possibly the number of chords selected. Spent a half hour on it, so I’m moving on.

It is consistent, all selected chords are transposed correctly.

So I guess this is fixed.

Excellent. I just verified this on some chords that I previously could not transpose all at once, and they all changed fine now. :smiley:

And I just unverified it today. Two examples.

1. Create two chords Am and G. Select them both and try changing the root key to C. It doesn’t work although you can change it to any other note letter. I think this is what Steve is referring to.

2. Create the following chord sequence - Am G C and select them all. This you can’t change at all.

After some more poking around I found something very interesting.

The Am G C sequence can actually be transposed into 2 other root keys (I hadn’t really tried them all on the last post), A# and B - or the two notes on the list directly below A (physically not musically below). Then if you change the order of the chords to be G C Am, you’ll find that you can now change the root key to any of the 4 notes on the list below G (e.g. B - G#). Now change the order to C Am G and you can change the root to any note since they are all below C in the list.

So you can only transpose to root keys beneath the root key of the first chord selected.

I posted this in the Issues forum. I’d appreciate someone confirming it.

Thanks.

Well, I did say,

A kludgy workaround to the problem

I had a Chord Track with a zillion chords in it that I really needed to transpose from Am to Em. Of course it ended being one that wouldn’t transpose at all. Not wanting to manually change a zillion chords one at a time (which would take slightly less than eternity :astonished: ) I figured out a rather ugly but fairly simple way do it.

1. Create a new Instrument or MIDI track.
  2. Select this new track
  3. In the menu “Project/Chord Track” run “Chords to MIDI” to create a new MIDI Part with your chords in it.
  4. In the track’s Inspector Chord Track tab, disable Follow Chord Track which was automatically enabled in step 3.
  5. Open this new MIDI Part in the Key Editor, ctrl-A to select all the notes and move them to be in the desired key.
  6. Delete all the chords in the Chord Track.
  7. With the MIDI Part selected, in the menu “Project/Chord Track” run “Make Chords”.
  8. The transposed chords should now be in the Chord Track.

You might want to save the project under another name before doing this, just in case.

Great workaround.
Thanks!

… but a good one :wink:

In the interest of finding a good one, can one of you guys try this repro?

• New Empty File
  • New Chord track
  • Add chords, one per measure: ‘B’ and ‘C’
  • Select all
  • Try to transpose higher or lower using the Info Line
    Result: No transpose possible

Now, individually transpose each chord root by a diminished 5th.

• Select All
  • Try to transpose higher or lower using the Info Line
    Result: Chords transposing is unlimited.

Yeah I can confirm that. It also matches my latest (in a long line) theory about what is happening. Put in any sequence of chords and select them all. The root key shown in the info line is always the root of the first chord in the sequence, lets call that X. You should be able to transpose the entire sequence to any root key that is below X in the drop-down list. So if X is F then you can transpose to F#, G, G#…B. You can also transpose to root keys above X in the list, but there is a limitation when doing that. You can only go up in the list until any chord in the sequence gets to C. Once that happens you can’t go any higher. So, for example, if you have 2 chords F and D, and select them both the root key (F) can be changed to E and D# but no further. That’s because when the root gets to D# the second chord (initially D) is now C. So it seems that the algorithm is broken in that it doesn’t allow any chord to pass beyond the C boundary going up in the list.

Kind of hard to describe, so I hope that made sense. Can anyone confirm?

That is precisely my finding, and that is why I chose B (the highest) and C (the lowest) for the chords.

Everything works as one would expect it…?

• selecting “all” would include the scale selection; the Root Key refers to the scale not the chords
  • selection of only the chords, when clicking on the Root Key, a drop down box appears [- to B]
  • choosing a key here and the chords change accordingly

What’s your point? That it does work, or what?

Except the cords only sometimes change accordingly, other times they won’t change at all or they will only change to some roots and not others. This has been reported by numerous folks on several different threads. We’re trying to understand what differentiates one situation from the other. Are you saying that if you create a B followed by a C chord (in that order) that you can select both of those chords and successfully transpose them via the Root Key? I know they won’t on both my PC and Steve’s Mac.

Yes

Hmph. Interesting

I just want to verify that we are not somehow talking apples and oranges. Attached is a screen grab of the test case on my DAW. Setup like this I, and several others, am consistently unable to change the chords by changing the value in the root key field. If you are able to make this work, can you see anything that is setup differently on your system than what is shown in the image?