Travelling Down This Road Again

As part of my journey over the last year and a half into my project archives… I recently picked this one out for a bit of a mix makeover:

Traveling Down This Road Again

It’s a kind of alt-pop/rock antipodean tune and looking at the dates on the project this must have pretty much been around the time when I first entertained the idea of actually ‘singing’ my own songs… :unamused:

I remember writing this after a 7th failed relationship! :laughing: It was a bit of a hobby of mine at the time.

Really like this song, a sort of hillbilly sound, you’ve sang it perfectly IMHO…it’s an old song so it seems you’ve alway’s been good at production… :frowning: damn
very smooth harmonies…
reckon it should have faded from around 3 mins though… :slight_smile:

great work Ian… :slight_smile:

Hi Ian,

there’s a rustic charm about this one, yes.

At the risk of sounding like it’s 2004 again :wink:
I’ve a couple of nits about the bass part.
The tuning between 00:16 - 00:21 sounds
dodgey, as does a note at 00:34.

I like the bass part run that starts at 2:21
but maybe the other instruments could
do more to help it out there? Sounds a bit
too one-chordy?

I think it would be a good tune at the pub.

Jet

Thanks. :slight_smile: Good production? Well… maybe, but my mixes were pretty bad way back in the day. Hence the main reason I’m revisiting all that old stuff now and giving it a bit of a makeover.

reckon it should have faded from around 3 mins though… > :slight_smile: >

Funny… I did actually have a shorter version that did just that. But then I changed my mind again :laughing:

:sunglasses:

At the risk of sounding like it’s 2004 again > :wink: >
I’ve a couple of nits about the bass part.
The tuning between 00:16 - 00:21 sounds
dodgey, as does a note at 00:34.

Oh no! :astonished: Now I remember…
Anyway… good point. Sorted. :slight_smile:

I like the bass part run that starts at 2:21
but maybe the other instruments could
do more to help it out there? Sounds a bit
too one-chordy?

Also sorted… well, I think it’s better now anyway.

I think it would be a good tune at the pub.

Now there’s a thought. Might introduce this one to the band. :wink:

Thanks gentlemen! :sunglasses:

Ian,

I like the in your face attitude of this one. Reading the posts above I hear you’re still tinkering. I suppose it’s too late to double track your voice? There’s a few spots where My ears yearn for more depth. Even so I love the energy and your humour.

I liked this one, but it sounded dated to me. If this is when you started singing, then you are a fan of Ray Davies! So that’s mainly why I liked it!

Double tracking vocals is not something I’ve ever really done, seems to require a lot of effort to get two vocals perfectly in-sync! I have however achieved similar benefit with the use if delays/chorus etc etc. :sunglasses:

The “sounding dated” is something I’ve never really been able to pin down. It was a topic of some interesting debate when I raised here quite some years ago, as my mixes were attracting this kind of comment from time to time. Of course I guess I could argue that the vintage of my sound is consistent with my own vintage, :laughing: but I do wonder what it is that makes something sound ‘dated’ - the use of real instruments perhaps? :laughing:

I think all we have to do is just call it a ‘vintage’ or ‘retro’ sound and then it’s becomes acceptable :wink:

Sorry, I think “dated” was the wrong descriptor. I like “vintage” a lot better. I think the drum beat, the bass line, and the arrangement point back stylistically to the 60s and 70’s in pop. But so what. If you can create a well-constructed piece of music and perform it well, then that is what it is. Doesn’t matter what era the framework comes from.

great mix as usual