Tremolo crossing the barline

is it somehow possible to make like a half note out of the tied 2 quarter-notes over the barline of bar 16 & 17 and then to apply a tremolo? It is a bisbigliando in the harp so don’t wonder about the E# combined with the F.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-15 um 13.40.06

I’d like to avoid this:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-15 um 13.41.07

Yes, this is possible.
Select the tied note.
Hit ; to make it a tuplet and insert in the popover 1:1 and hit Enter.
With the tuplet numbers selected in the bottom panel (under Tuplets) select Spans barline.
Now hide the number.
And then make your tremolo.

Jan

Thanx a lot Jan…I get this…but I’d need it between the E# and F…great workaround though :slight_smile: Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-15 um 14.33.49

You can fudge it with a 1:1w tuplet (or a 2:2h tuplet or a 4:4q tuplet) that spans the barline, but when you applied the trem you’d end up with two whole notes (semibreves) in the first bar and then two crotchet/quarter rests in the next bar.

Even if you fudged it so that it was a pair of minims/half notes, they’d still both be in the first bar, and the second bar would then appear to be missing a beat.

What are you hoping to see?

I don’t what is going wrong in your attempt but I got this:

I only had to shift the notes of the last bar to the right.

Jan

TBH, I find this a very confusing notation. If I’d see this in a part, I’d think a) the second bar is too long, b) the third bar is incomplete, and/or c) this is crappy software, and/or d) something unfriendly about the competence of the composer/engraver. Nobody will understand that the tremolo actually spans the barline.

Yeah, Ithink you guys are right…it should be kept like this:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-15 um 13.41.07

I’d suggest bar 14 and 15 be changed to your new bar 16, no tremolo crossing the bar. A slur should encompass the entire passage.

I’d go with notesetter, but even leave out the slur. What should it mean if it is one long unmeasured tremolo/bisbigliando anyways?

It could have been bass clef … :wink: