Tremolo not appearing properly

I used the Repeats popover to insert a tremolo under a semibreve (whole note); instead, Dorico shows three parallel lines over the whole bar (measure).

How can I make the tremolo appear correctly (under) the semibreve as three, short, parallel, diagonal slashes?

///

(as the above, but sideways)

I’d insert little screenshots, but the Forum here won’t let me.

Thank you.

Tremolo slashes appear on the side that a stem would, if a stem were present. What staff position/note is your semibreve?

You can force the direction by flipping the note, key command F.

(Being able to attach files and images in the forum depends on your level, which you can raise by reading posts for at least 10mins and generally being active.)

Thanks again for your help Lillie.

I deleted the semibreve, inserted a new one and tried to add a tremolo using Shift-R, then typing ‘///2’. No tremolo appears on the note.

I take your point about bring able to flip the position of the tremolo. (Yes, tremolos should appear on the stem side.)

///2 is the popover entry for a 3-stroke multi-note tremolo, ie between two notes. /// is the entry for a 3-stroke tremolo on a single note. See here.

In Dorico, you generally shouldn’t need to delete notes entirely in order to change something about them or to add new notations to, or delete notations from, them.

Got it, thank you Lillie.

I also found this conveniently in the Notations toolbox>Repeat icon

…and selecting ‘3-Strokes single note tremolo’.

Thanks again for you help :slight_smile:

For most notations, you should find that they have panel (ie onscreen) and popover (ie keyboard-based) input equivalents.

Hi Lillie, I was hoping I could jump in this thread to pose a quick question about trems. It’s not exactly what the OP posted, but maybe it is related.
I want these trems to appear as whole notes (empty note head, no stem). And then I will hide the rests. But when I go, in engrave mode to remove stem, the trem lines disappear as well.
Might you have a workaround? Or am I approaching this incorrectly?
thanks

To have both notes in a multi-note tremolo appear as whole notes, the starting notes (that you input, to which you then add the multi-note tremolos) need to be minims (half notes).

If you want them not to span the duration in the bar normally occupied by a single whole note, you could input them as tuplets (e.g. enter 2:1h into the tuplets popover, i.e. two half notes in the span of one).

2 Likes

thanks so much. I thought I had tried that (starting with half notes), but I guess I hadn’t. Cheers.