Tremolo playback

Hi folks,

somehow I have the impression that playback for tremolos isn’t working correctly (although I think it did in Dorico 1.x)…
What I expect is when I have two slashes (or one and a beam), I want to hear 16th notes, no matter what metrum or when a note starts or ends.
But what I have is the situation in example1.jpg: Most of the 16th tremolos here sound as 8th notes.
Interestingly, when I delete the 6/8 metrum and have everything in 4/4, the number of tremolo slashes changes and the same playback is now correct for the new notation (shown in example2.jpg) – which I think might be part of the problem.
(The same goes for three slashes, and triplets (tied into and out of) in compound meter cause other funny playback issues…)
Is there any chance I can have tremolo playback respect the number of slashes under any condition?

Thanks as always! :wink:

All the best, Daniel

Sorry for not responding to this thread more quickly. I agree that Dorico’s handling of tremolo subdivisions is currently too simplistic, and this is something that we will certainly address in future. We have a number of related tasks on our backlog.

Thanks Daniel! (Also sorry for not responding, I just failed to notice the notification… :unamused: )
I am looking forward to any updates regarding tremolos. :wink:

Has there been some improvement made?

In this case, the tied slashed eights play back with half of the intended speed, while the second time (dotted eighth) it plays back correctly. It is unmetered and I used force duration to achieve the ties.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-20 um 01.12.38.png

There haven’t been any recent changes in this area, no.

Is there any news of plans to fix this?I’m having to write this to achieve semiquaver playback throught the bar, and hope that I remember to change it when I send out parts.
trem

There’s no news, I’m afraid, James.

this may be a daft question but, unless you’re using NotePerformer which can model just about anything, you’re generally not going to be able to actually play anything much other than the unmeasured sampled tremolos which come with most libraries anyway. If you try to disable the tremolo in the EM and leave Dorico to its own devices, I’ve never heard anything other than an unpleasant noise!

Does someone have some magical tricks to bring something resembling musical playback to the measured single note tremolos we’ve been looking at here? Or is it simply a matter of getting the rhythm correct?

and just to add, (as I meant to do earlier but forgot) that in a sense you can have your cake and eat it if you create a temporary “staff below” where you enter exactly what you want to be played back as described by @Grainger2001 in this post Playback Issue - Sampled Trills (Berlin Woodwinds). At least then you can notate something for playback which makes some sense for the VST you’re using. I used this method with CSS until a user script made it superfluous.