Tremolos playback technique defaults to Short condition

Hi,
So I am trying to make an expression map for Peteris Vasks First Chair Viola which contains ‘Tremolo’ and ‘Tremolo short’ articulation.
When I set the Tremolo with <= Short condition to trigger the ‘Tremolo short’ playback technique, every note length gets tagged as Tremolo short.

Its because Tremolo are treated as a group of short notes even if its notated as a long note?
Thanks for any feedback!

Yes, that’s right. The note length of the repeated notes generated for the tremolo will be used to determine the value of the note length profile at that point.

What would be the optimal way to assign a playback technique to shorter tremolos?

Probably you would need a separate playing technique item that triggers a custom playback technique, and make sure that your expression map then defines an appropriate switch for the combination of tremolo plus your custom playback technique.

The articulation sounds as a jete/ricochet anyways, so a new playing and playback technique makes sense.
Thanks!

Hi Daniel You write « The note length of the repeated notes generated for the tremolo will be used to determine the value of the note length profile at that point. ».

Does this mean the note length interpretation by Dorico of 1,2,3 and 4 stroke tremolo has changed since the long posts on the issue in 2022? There the issue was that Dorico would take the full value of the tremolo note for the articulation choice, so often a quarter or longer note,and it would therefore not play the articulation defined for samples of short and/or very short notes .

In scores using 1,2 and 3 stroke tremolo, or maybe better said repeated notes, I can still only get them to use the fast or repeated note samples in the library when I write out all notes as concluded in the 2022 post on the issue.

(the VSL brass libraries have no unmeasured tremolo samples but only the repeated single notes. So it is of no use to reduce the number of strokes interpreted as tremolo in playback options)

That’s right, this was changed in Dorico 5 (our ref: STEAM-10926).