tremolos...

why, in God’s name, are tremolo markings under the ‘1st and 2nd ending’ tab? might as well make bar lines under the clefs tab for all the sense of it.

The logic, is that a tremolo (especially a metered tremolo) is a form of a repeat. It’s repeated notes. So it was put in the “repeat” section.

I feel there is a difference between musical form repeats and note repeats, and think probably the same as you - that the tremolo should move elsewhere.

Robby

1 Like

I have been in Film business for 27 years, have worked as copyist. Orchestrator, Arranger, Composer. The Trem hashes and double bow markings need to be where the instrument ornaments are in stings, woodwinds, etc. It’s always a person who never actually wrote a hand written score, or worked at a a Hollywood copying house that put them in that crazy place. Then uses some stupid crazy excuse to keep them there. Those markings belong under articulation under instrument names. And you can use it in multiple locations under all the instruments. Actually needs to be a permanent on LH side next to grace notes. Some non-composer or Copyist decided that they like it where it takes a pro half an hour of overtime to find it. Its purely insanity. Dorico is so awesome to have a fool put those markings where they did. Should fire that programmer and get a real musician. See I am going to keep using this program. The only bad painful user experience is those markings. If i want a roll on timp, how come under pitched percussion i can’t find them? If i want a double bow marking on Vi’s Why the heck is the marking not under strings articulations? If I want a roll on a mallet cymbol why should i have to go to some other place?
See those need to be by the Grace notes on LH side a permanent feature… That way the poor soul who has to dig around to kingdom come to find it does not have to dig in codas etc to find a note ornament. And Why is there not a True harmonic diamond or triangle for natural sting harmonic ? They have the circle thingy but that is for half harmonics in strings. Players are used to diamond or triangle thing a fifth above note or a fake one where it sounds. Also Where is the Harp peddling chart or symbols? When we copied we used to get Popsicle sticks and pins and rubber bands and make one so you can keep track of peddling on Harp and do the simplest changes. Dorico should translate key signature of chords, or whole tone scales, or diatonic etc. The user should choose scale and gliss range etc then dorico does the rest and checks spelling of pedals to make sure things are right.
Then again who am I? Oh yea the poor should that actually has to use it to make a living coming up and who made millions doing it on real paper with a number 2 Pencil and a triangle.

2 Likes

There was this early reference to Tremolos:

and this later one:

Adding tremolos with the new Shift+R popover is really fast in Dorico 2. I commend it to you to give it a try.

Dear Daniel,
I see the problem with “two-notes” tremolos with dotted rythms (a chord tremolo over 3 beats for instance) is still there : we still have to use force duration to make Dorico draw them. Not a major issue, but certainly a little bit annoying when copying lots or opera vocal scores — as these tremolos are very frequent. And by the way, I can’t get the shift-R popover to work at inputing multistem tremolo : I end up with single stem tremolos all the time. Could you tell me how this should be done ? Maybe the problem I was referring to has been solved but I just do not know how to deal with it…

No, you would have read about a change to multi-stem tremolos in the version history document if there was something new to say. It is comprehensive and lists everything we have done.

I can see that there is a mistake in the version history with regard to multi-stem tremolos: you should type /2 or //2 etc. to produce a multi-stem tremolo. I’ll see about getting that fixed.

Ah ok, that’s why I could not get it to work.
And yes, I have been reading every line of the version history yesterday, while the upgrade was downloaded… You are a marvelous team, with an impressive efficiency!

I wonder if it’s not advisable to have dynamic toolboxes. Why should I bother with mallet / vibraphone / harp etc. articulations when I’m working on a staff belonging to a guitar? Helps keeping the workspace clean, too.

Is there a way to add them to LH tool bar as permanent? IT would be so cool to not have to drill down multiple clicks, or assign Key shortcuts for something you do all the time. Terms, double bowing, trills should be like sooooo easy as we do them so much in film and tv and commercials. Cymbal mallet rolls , time rolls, grand cassia, vibes, its a need to be on LH tool bar customization! The beauty is allowing individuals to customize LH permanent tool bars just makes it so personal and perfect. People could trade and share setups! Bottom line people will love the program so much they can’t live without it!

Eddo, you have the option to open and close the Playing Techniques subsections in whatever combination you like. I can see your point, but what about the fringe cases when you want to indicate a downbow on a bowed cymbal, for example?

NutBag, not currently. Some people already love the program so much they can’t live without it :stuck_out_tongue:
Some of us have resorted to using Keyboard Maestro or AutoHotKey to create quick macros to do frequently-used things. I actually have a Logitech G13 keypad hooked up to my main work computer, that’s used solely for this purpose. I can input every common dynamic marking with a single keypress, for example.