Tricks for more efficient note-entry?

Sure. Dorico Keyboard - KB Covers

I’m pleased to see that they’ve revised it so it no longer has (my) Percussion Maps printed on J :smiling_imp:

@benwiggy, no, numpad-dot is assigned to something to do with the playhead by default, in order to match Cubase. I’ve remapped it as the augmentation dot here too.

You can always remap those values. In Finale 6 is half, 5 quarter, and 4 eighth so that’s certainly a familiar option. Here are the Finale default numpad values:

When I started using Dorico, everyone said to not expect it to work like other software and learn how it works, so I learned the Dorico way. I now screw it up in Finale whenever I still have to use it.

2 Likes

Does anyone make any stick on dorico stickers for those of us making custom keyboard layouts?

Maybe email the people at Dorico - Shortcut Stickers and tell them there’s demand for them to make some more.

1 Like

…and it works brilliantly. If used in conjunction with the image recognition features in Keyboard Maestro (not sure of the Windows equivalent), you can access pretty much everything in Dorico. I’ve yet to find something I can’t do.

The good news is that the Metagrid 2.0 beta will be with us this month. There’s a lot of added functionality, including enabling user-made icons.

FWIW, this is my my Write Mode / Note Entry page.

2 Likes

I was fine with the Sibelius layout, but I didnt keep my hand on the keypad. I do not understand why it now disturbs me that I have to move so far from 6 to 7 to go from 1/4 to 1/2 notes, and then the dot of augmentation requires me to look. The dot on the numberpad makes a rests: perhaps if I changed it to a dot of prolongation I should feel happier. :grinning:

I always have my mouse cursor set to be so responsive that I dont have to move my hand more than an inch to got from one end of a display to the other end of the second one, which is much less distance than from the keypad to the full stop. (I think this setting also reduces the possibility of carpal tunnel syndrome.)

But I am trying to get used to the defaults. I just realised that the numbers on the regular keyboard also set the note durations: they are in the right order. I will try them! (I am definitely a bit slow on the uptake!)

David

The good news is that the Metagrid 2.0 beta will be with us this month. There’s a lot of added functionality, including enabling user-made icons.

I am definitely planning to get an iPadPro when the next one comes out any day now…and metagrid. I’m particularly looking forward to setting up some macros on metagrid.

I still think I want to use the QWERTY primarily for entering in the first pass of notes with durations, ties, dots, accidentals, slurs. Its easier to leave my hand on the keyboard and feel the keys without looking at it, for the fast note-entering phase.

…and it works brilliantly. If used in conjunction with the image recognition features in Keyboard Maestro (not sure of the Windows equivalent), you can access pretty much everything in Dorico. I’ve yet to find something I can’t do.

I want to check out Keyboard Maestro also. I’m curious what kinds of things it can do with Dorico? how are people finding it most useful?

You said it has has some image recognition features? I have not heard about that. what is that exactly? Are you saying it can kind of figure out where Dorico UI elements are in order to mouse click on them, etc.?

Yes - exactly that. Obviously it can’t guess which instrument or notes etc. you want to edit - that much you still have to do - but once you’ve selected something, it can do everything you can do with the mouse or keyboard. And very often the way is by using image recognition.

2 Likes

I’ll have to try a test. I’d like to have a key to quickly jump to divisi in string sections… right now it seems like I have to open the divisi dialog, click a few buttons every time.

I’m probably misunderstanding you but accessing the Change Divisi function is available as a Keystroke Option.

I might be missing something, but all I could figure out is a way to trigger the opening of the dialog. Once you open the dialog you then have to manually choose what kind of divisi to setup and hit OK.

Its very common for me to go to 2 or 3 part divisi, so I’d like a keystroke that directly sets up 2 part, and another keystroke for 3 part…without having to manually touch the dialog box that opens up.

Is there a keystroke to do that? I’m still learning Dorico, so there very well could be, but the only thing I could find was a way to open the dialog box itself.

As far as I know, the only available keystroke is to open the dialog box.

But yes, you can use Keyboard Maestro to open the dialogue box, set up a 2 or 3 part divisi, close the dialogue box and link it all back to either a keystroke / Midi command / Metagrid button etc. If you use an If/Then function associated with image recognition, you’d probably only need the one keystroke/command/button as the If function would look for existing divisi and, if appropriate, incrementally add additional ones.

just bought Keyboard Maestro. I have a lot to learn about how to use it. Tried to get a quick macro working based on the image of the section divisi button…but so far its not working quite right…I’ll have to spend some time learning this program I am sure I’m doing something wrong… but there is lots of potential, have been wanting to check out KM for a long time…something else to distract me from getting anything done…

2 Likes

KM may look daunting but looks can be deceiving - I found it fairly easy and I’m rubbish at any form of programming!

Here’s an example that involves using the Images and If functions in KM. This KM macro enables me to go from Note Entry to the Time Track in Play Mode (for fine-tuning/entering rits /pauses etc.) and displays the track how I would like it. The Macro 1) heads to Play Mode, 2) positions the mouse pointer so it won’t interfere with any images, 3) checks to see if the Time Track is already Open (in which case it does nothing) and 4) if it isn’t open, it opens it and widens the track.

B011.01 Write (Common Edits) - Time Track Editing.kmmacros.zip (7.7 KB)

The macro is opened using Metagrid. Metagrid lists ALL the KM Macros by their titles so no faffing about checking entries etc.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing that example. I will check it out later and see if I can figure out how you got the image thing working, …I’m very interested to hear how people are using KM and MetaGrid to streamline their DAW and notation work.

There was some talk, a couple of years back, of Staffpad hooking up with Dorico, to make the Staffpad note entry system work as a way of inputting notes to Dorico, presumably without having to export/import xml etc. Sadly I haven’t heard any mention of this again since. If Daniel Spreadbury and David William Hearn put their heads together I am sure they could come up with a way of doing this, but maybe there are valid reasons why they can’t. I for one would love to be able to write music in longhand and see it appear in Dorico. It’s still one of the quickest ways of writing music. Having said that, the recognition algorithm in Staffpad has some way to go before it is perfect, so maybe that is still something for (a long way into) the future.

My recollection (poor as it may be) was that Dorico said it was “looking at” StaffPad but gave no indication that they planned to incorporate it into Dorico.

A little birdy tells me that change is afoot at Staffpad. I’d be very surprised to see any collaboration between Dorico and Staffpad.

3 Likes

Is the little birdy named DWH?

Nope, if it were from the horse’s mouth I would have said “from a little horsey” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes